[Nfbf-l] Robert Doyle

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Tue Feb 18 19:24:30 UTC 2014

Hello!  I wanted to make a comment on RJ's question about Robert Doyle being
'open to consumer groups'

I want to say that he is but it would have to be arranged through his
department.  I want to share my experience at the NFBF State Convention
where I met and was able to talk with Mr. Doyle personally.

This convention was a great experience for me and intrigued me in many of
the activities.  When I heard the various speakers, I told my SSP, Leah,
that I wanted to speak to some and she made sure that I did.  One of those
persons was Mr. Doyle but the opportunity came when Leah and I were working
the State Wide Chapter fundraising table.

I took advantaged of that meeting and shared with him my experience with
DBS, recognition of being a Deaf Blind person and how I attended the Helen
Keller National Center and much more.  I share the bad stuff but I also gave
him a big praise report of how much my DBS counselor and I have grown and
how the resources have been available for me many times over the past three
years since returning to Florida from HKNC in 2011.

Leah, my SSP, said that his facial expression when I began was like 'oh,
no.here I go again she is going to complain'.she said his facial expression
soon became guarded as I spoke and then it changed to being 'amazed' because
of my praise report!  He was very delighted in hearing this and knew that my
frustrations, struggles are definitely validated but the surprise of
receiving a praise report made his day and made him feel good about what DBS
is doing.  My journey is continuing with DBS as I am still seeking
employment and I continued to volunteer my skills to various organizations.

By doing this, I am showing my willingness to do what I can to get a job and
by praising Mr. Doyle, my DBS and VR counselors I am also allowing them to
open up to work with me.  Communication and positive thinking are great
tools in everything we do.

So to answer RJ's question, I believe Mr. Doyle would be open to consumer
groups as it is his desire to achieve success for those who are visually
impaired and this should be the goal of all the DBS counselors and staff as
well.  So, I hope you will take the time to contact him, your counselor and
praise them for their efforts.  Who knows where the next step will lead you?

Have a blessed day!

(smile)
Darlene

One step at a time...Accept, Adapt, and Move on!