[Nfbf-l] NBC New show premiering about growing up with aguidedog...

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Mon Feb 24 15:47:41 UTC 2014

Sherri and all,

I want to watch the show a couple more times before passing judgment too
quickly. I didn't realize he was feeding his dog people food. Do you know
what he fed it? Did he feed it from the table? From the get go, that's not a
very good message to put out there. No one has yet said a word to the dog.
Small thing, I know, but it bothered me. Also, I thought that shutting the
dog up in the pantry to help make his son feel needed was rather weird. The
thing is, apparently this guy, in real life, is pretty eccentric and
forceful. That's his personality, so the show reflects that and will
irritate us sometimes. And this is TV, after all, with ratings as their
bottom line. I fear that part of my objections may simply be not caring much
for current TV comedy.  But I certainly plan to give it another chance
tomorrow night.
Have a great week, even if you suffer from Olympic withdrawal!
Sherrill

Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, Inc.

February 21, 2014

GUIDE DOG FOUNDATION APPLAUDS NBC'S NEW COMEDY
SERIES "GROWING UP FISHER"

"Growing Up Fisher" TV Show is Inspired By Creator's Experience with His
Father's First Guide Dog from the Guide Dog Foundation

The Guide Dog Foundation (www.GuideDog.org) is thrilled to support NBC's new
comedy series "Growing Up Fisher" (www.NBC.com/Growing-Up-Fisher/), which is
inspired by creator/executive producer DJ Nash's own childhood experiences
when his father trained with and received a guide dog from the Guide Dog
Foundation in the early 1980s. Starring J.K. Simmons and Jenna Elfman,
"Growing Up Fisher" follows 11-year-old Henry (Eli Baker) as he adjusts to
his parents' divorce and his blind father's (Simmons) new guide dog. The
"Growing Up Fisher" pilot will premiere after the Olympic Closing Ceremony
on Sunday, February 23, at 10:30 p.m. ET on NBC, and then will air a new
episode in its normal time slot on Tuesday, February 25, at 9:30 p.m. ET on
NBC.

"In 1981, my dad acquired his first guide dog from the Guide Dog Foundation,
and she changed our lives. She changed my dad's life for sure, but she
really changed all of our lives. I went from being my dad's human guide to
having to race to keep up with him," said Nash. "My dad lost his sight when
he was 11, and until he was around 45, he navigated the world with the help
of humans. Several things led him to the decision to get a guide dog,
including a fellow law school student who was also blind, and him seeing
someone he respected with a guide dog really made an impact on him and his
decision to get a dog."

Below you'll find a three part interview with show Creator and Executive
Producer DJ Nash exclusively shot for the Guide Dog Foundation.