[Nfbf-l] The Importance of learning independent living skills

Denise Valkema valkemadenise at aol.com
Mon Jul 21 18:44:29 UTC 2014

There is interdependence, independence, and independence. It is empowering when you know you can do something on your own without having to depend on someone else , and to have the option to choose to receive assistance or not.

This is simple example. If I want coffee, I love knowing I can make it, pour it, and enjoy it. I can have the pleasure of someone serving me coffee. I don't like having to depend on someone to get my coffee when I want it when I want it but waiting for them to do it. I like the freedom of choice.

Below is conclusion of Jernigan's Nature of independence speech that can be read, in audio, or video as well from nfb.org.
"In conclusion, I say to each member of this organization: Hold your head high in the joy of accomplishment and the pride of independence—but not because of dog or cane or human arm, and not because of your ability to read Braille or use a computer. These are the trappings of independence, not the substance of it. They should be learned, and used when needed—but they should be regarded only as means, not ends. Our independence comes from within. A slave can have keen eyesight, excellent mobility, and superb reading skills—and still be a slave. We are achieving freedom and independence in the only way that really counts—in rising self-respect, growing self-confidence, and the will and the ability to make choices. Above all, independence means choices, and the power to make those choices stick. We are getting that power, and we intend to have more of it. That is why we have organized. That is why we have the National Federation of the Blind. We know where we are going, and we know how to get there. Let anybody who doubts it put us to the test. My brothers and my sisters, the future is ours! Let us meet it with joy; let us meet it with hope; and (most important of all) let us meet it together!"

Sincerely, Denise Valkema by iPhone