[Nfbf-l] Service dog's being denied entrance

Holly hbeanie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 13:31:36 UTC 2014

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. --

A Daytona Beach motel owner who refused to welcome a vacationing veteran
and his service dog is now facing a possible misdemeanor charge.

Former Army Sgt. Robert Price has a service dog named Walker. Price suffers
from post-traumatic stress disorder and a brain injury after facing bomb
attacks for years in the Middle East.

When he went to check in at the Budget Inn Express on Tuesday, he told the
desk clerk as a courtesy that he had a service dog and the woman
immediately told him that dogs weren't welcome.

Price said it took time to accept the idea of having a service dog, but now
he and Walker are inseparable. He said when they were denied a room at the
Budget Inn Express, he started recording the confrontation with his
cellphone.

"Because I have a service dog, I can't have a room?" he asked.

"Service dog or whatever. Dog is dog," said motel owner Bina Patel.

"A dog is a dog?" asked Price.

"Yes," said Patel.

Price sat down with Channel 9 to talk about being turned away and how he
took to being treated the way he was.

"Not only do I take it personal but I take it as a huge disrespect to all
veterans out there," he said.

State law prohibits businesses from turning away the disabled and their
service and guide dogs, but Price said it isn't the first time it's
happened to him.

Price said it was Patel who called police, which felt to him as though she
was calling him a criminal.

"There's not a lower insult. There's not a lower insult," he said.

Daytona police will let prosecutors decide whether to charge Patel with a
misdemeanor.

On Wednesday, she told Channel 9 she was sorry for turning Price away,
saying she didn't know about the law and vowed it would never happen again.

Price said he wants to spare other veterans the pain he felt on Tuesday.

"Vets, you are not, you weren't alone overseas and you're not alone here,"
he said.

Price wasn't alone on Tuesday as police officers escorted him to the La
Quinta, where they not only welcomed him but gave him a very generous
discount on his room.

--
"God gives you 86,400 seconds in a day. Take one to say Thank You."
Walter A. Ward