[Nfbf-l] The iGlasses Ultrasonic Mobility Aid supplements the White Cane or Guide Dog

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 29 20:34:21 UTC 2014

Hello, Alan.

I have a set of those iGlasses and have had some interesting experiences
with them.  I feel they could be a helpful aid in some circumstances.  You
get a little more environmental feedback than with just a cane.  One thing I
have found useful is maintaining a certain distance from a wall and being
aware it might turn, such as the angled walls you might have in a mall.  I
have used them looking down to find the edge and turn of a table.

I found at least one instance in which the feedback was confusing.  This
happened while wearing the device and carrying an umbrella.  The iGlasses
seemed to be detecting it shaft and perhaps even the spokes as well, thus
masking things in the environment.

Good concentration is still important when using these.  I had an incident
at last summer's national convention while wearing them and attempting to go
from the main hotel to the exhibit hall.  I was maneuvering toward the
doorway to the covered walk and someone was giving me voice guidance to the
door.  I was trying to cue in on that as well as the unit feedback and
contending with other distractions in the hall.  I ended up smacking into
the metal frame of the door and sustained some minor injuries.

But there's also a larger issue about mobility augmentations in general that
I want to raise.

It seems there are some in NFB who object to any travel tool other than the
white cane and/or guide dog, or perhaps accessible GPS on a mobile device,
as being unnecessary.  That may be the case for someone whose physical
mobility is perfect.  Mine isn't and it has been the source of great
constrranation for me.  More on that later.

This attitude reared its head when you posted to this list and NFB-TALK the
article on the shoe inserts that were being developed in India.

This was decried as being somewhat condescending or paternalistic, not
recognizing the abilities of the blind,  and that the developers would
themselves eventually realize their invention is unnecessary technology.
Never mind there are some of us with physical and/or neurological issues
that make walking a bit more challenging.  It's tough when you have the
mental understanding of mobility but have difficulty physically executing
the skills, and you are not quite impaired enough to need a walker or
wheelchair.

I didn't have the heart to wade into the critical thread on this issue on
NFB-TALK in response to your post last fall and do battle with some of the
posters on this issue.

There have been a number of previous attempts to develop mobility devices
that would complement the white cane or guide dog.  I remember at one time
there were shoes that some M. I. T. students had developed.  At the 2004
national convention, Dr. Maurer in his banquet address criticized this
project because as he put it, we, the blind, had not been consulted.  It is
perhaps true those shoes were overdone and the way they were described they
were almost certainly too bulky.  At the same convention, which was my
first, I tried a prototype of a wearable device NFB was developing that
seemed to have great promise, something called the Traveler.  It seemed to
be just what I would need, but it never got to the stage where it would be
marketable.  The two experiences taken together seemed slightly incongruous.

While it is important to critique development of technology and have input
into its development, it also is important to do it in a way that doesn't
alienate those able and willing to be helpful to us.  We don't want, in
addition, to develop an attitude of NIH about innovation, which in this case
stands for Not Invented Here instead of National Institutes of Health.

Here are some of the personal reasons for my interest in this field.  My
physical problem is having nearly flat feet and steps that are uneven
sometimes in distance and angle.  I know these problems but can't seem to
correct them in real time.  When I had some functional vision I could
correct for it, but when I became totally blind the issues were completely
betrayed, thus making some forms of travel such as crossing streets unsafe
and others such as walking in buildings I don't use all the time stressful.
Even while I had vision I was occasionally made fun of for my uneven, wobbly
walk.  I remember in particular some incidents of this back in Illinois
where I am originally from when I was attending their state school for the
blind.

I have another concept that might be worth trying. In addition to the mobile
GPS we might try taking advantage of themotion processing and compass apps
that are available.

I have admired through the years many of your posts concerning advances in
technology that could help the blind and perhaps even restore vision.

I don't remember ever meeting you at any conventions or in any other setting
but perhaps we could do so at some point.

I would welcome further discussion with you off list about all these issues.

Bill Outman
Secretary, Greater Daytona Beach Chapter
National Federation of the Blind