[Nfbf-l] Attitudes toward Blindness - Argentine student invents 'smart shoe'

Darlene Laibl-Crowe dlaiblcrowe at att.net
Wed Nov 19 18:12:18 UTC 2014

Miranda, have you been blind since you were a child?  I found that those who
have had their vision lost since childhood are able to do what you do.  I
admire you for that.  But those who have lived the life of vision and then
having to depend on the cane are not so free to embrace it.

I know when I began training with my white cane at the age of 228, I only
used it when I needed it...to find objects in unfamiliar territory and when
I was alone.  Otherwise I used sighted guides as often as possible so I
couldn't use the cane.  I have met many others just like me who have done
the same thing and I still know several who are losing their vision as
adults and do not use it.  They prefer to blunder through wherever they go
and sometimes getting hurt.  For me it is a necessity as I don't like
getting hurt...I cringe at pain!  (smile)

So it is my opinion and I could be wrong that those who grew up blind are
more inclined to embracing the white cane than those who lose later in life
especially as adults.  Another factor for me, too, in using a cane...since I
also have hearing issues, it can be hard using the cane because I can't use
my hearing to determine traffic flow and etc.

Keep on being proud and a great example for us, Miranda!  You Rock!

(smile)
Darlene