[Nfbf-l] Election Day coming

Judith Hamilton jrhamilton51 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 28 20:22:25 UTC 2014

Jim,
The same challenge exists in Alachua County also. The county supervisor of elections, with the county commission and state approval(s) have one machine in each precinct, plus a machine on election day at the county administration building, and one machine at each of the early voting locations. Since I have been using the machine at the precinct on election day and early voting over the years, the poll workers thank me for coming in because they don't get an opportunity to use the little bit of training they receive. I do not think we have the Automark in Alachua County and when I spoke to our supervisor of elections in August, they have to get new machines before the 2016 election year. It has been my experience that the poll workers are challenged by programing the ballot card for the voter prior to putting it into the machine. When I voted last Wednesday they had a hard time getting it to be audible and had to get assistance from the IT person for the county over the phone. There has never been a line to use the machine. Jim and everyone, it may not be fear so much as it is lack of transportation to get to the polling place. There is really no place someone could safely and comfortably wait for a private ride or paratransit for some of the length of time you have to wait. Presently, our early voting locations are at 2 county libraries and the county administration building downtown. If you have good navigational skills you possibly could run an errand after you get done voting, however, not many places are equipped or customer friendly for someone to sit and wait to be transported back home. I believe the majority of our population just feels more comfortable voting absentee ballot through the mail since lots of people cannot afford transportation just to go vote. We have the technology at least in this county, but lack the community support. There is a long way to go.
Judy