[Nfbf-l] social security SSDI benefits

Patricia A. Lipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Sat Aug 22 23:42:46 UTC 2015

Thanks for sharing this Sherry.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfbf-l [mailto:nfbf-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Sherri via
Nfbf-l
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2015 3:37 PM
To: nfbf-l at nfbnet.org
Cc: Sherri
Subject: [Nfbf-l] social security SSDI benefits

I was looking up some information about SSDI and found the following.
Thought this might be of interest.

People getting Social Security disability benefits can continue to receive
their benefits when they work as long as their earnings are not more than an

amount set by law.

If you're receiving Social Security disability benefits and you're blind,
you can earn as much as $1,820 a month in 2015. This is higher than the
earnings limit of $1,090 month that applies to disabled workers who aren't
blind. The earnings limits usually change each year.

Additionally, if you're blind and self-employed, we don't evaluate the time
you spend working in your business as we do for people who aren't blind.
This means you can be doing a lot of work for your business, but still
receive disability benefits, as long as your net profit averages $1,820 or
less a month in 2015.

Work figured differently after age 55

If you are age 55 or older, and blind, we use determination rules about work

for you that are different from the rules we use for people who aren't
blind. After age 55, even if your earnings exceed $1,820 month in 2015,
benefits are only suspended, not terminated, if the work you're doing
requires a lower level of skill and ability than what you did before you
reached 55. We'll pay you disability benefits for any month your earnings
fall below this limit.

Different work incentives apply to people getting SSI.

For more information about all the work incentives for people who receive
either Social Security disability or SSI disability, contact us and ask for
Working While Disabled- How We Can Help (Publication No. 05-10095). This
booklet is also available in Braille and other formats.

Sherri Brun
NFBF Newsline Chair
flmom2006 at gmail.com
President,
NFB Central Florida Chapter

Character is the side of yourself you choose to show the world.
Integrity is what you do, what you say and how you act when you think no one

is paying attention.
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbf-l_nfbnet.org/plipovsky%40cfl.rr.com

-----
No virus found in this message.