[Nfbf-l] Congratulations to new officers; State of The NFBF

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 20 17:47:36 UTC 2015

Good day, NFBF members.

I wanted to share some thoughts today as the president is about to give his
State of The Union address to Congress.

I congratulate those who have been elected to office on the state board and
the various divisions and who have been elected to chapter offices.  I thank
those who have left office for their service and look forward to working
with all to continue our important mission.

Without criticizing any individual in particular, I would like to turn our
attention to how we can progress from this point, going from good to even
better.  I think all who hold office in this affiliate from president down
to the chapter level would do well to ponder and apply the spirit of the
words of the oath of office sworn by Congress, the vice president and our
cabinet officials.  I do not, however, propose that we should have such an
oath.  Here is the wording of the oath.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the
Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this
obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and
that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which
I am about to enter. So help me God.

We need to remember to do as much listening as speaking, among officers,
among membership, and between officers and members.  NFB is sometimes
criticized from the outside for having leadership that is cloistered and
unresponsive to membership needs and the issues of the day, and a structure
that encourages this.  Some members may even occasionally feel this way.  We
must all act in such a way as to not give anyone quarter to say that this is
accurate.

I have hope and a belief that with earnest and diligent effort we can work
together to make progress on our goal of improving the lives of people who
are blind anvisually impaired in all respects.

Bill Outman

Secretary Greater Daytona Beach Chapter

---