[Nfbf-l] Deafblind Australian Makes Historic Call with Breakthrough Braille Phone

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 18 22:09:29 UTC 2015

Deafblind Australian Makes Historic Call with Breakthrough Braille Phone
May 19, 2015, - Australia

Hundreds of thousands of deafblind Australians will now be able to make
phone calls easily with a world first trial of a caption-braille phone

Victorian woman Michelle Stevens was born with vision impairment and lost
her hearing years ago due to chronic ear infections.

She's been unable to call people over the telephone using her own voice
since.

"It can be really isolating for deaf blind people," said Michelle.

The 58-year-old has now become the first deafblind Australian to make a
telephone call with the assistance of caption-to-Braille technology.

Speaking at the launch of an Australian trial in Sydney, she said it was the
"first time in a very, very long time where my sister has been able to hear
my voice".

"There's just one word I have for this - it's absolutely awesome," she said.

The technology allows people with vision and hearing impairments to
communicate using their own voice.

People's responses are then turned into captions that can then be
interpreted using the Braille display.

The Braille CapTel technology was developed by US phone company Ultratec and
has been picked up by local non-profit Conexu Foundation for a six month
trial.

Michelle is one of five Australians taking part across NSW, Victoria and
Queensland.

"Now everyone who speaks with Michelle is going to hear Michelle," Ultratec
Director, Christopher Engelke said.

"They're not going to hear me or some other voice translating for her."

Stephen Hallinan is also taking part and said he was excited by the
opportunity to communicate.

"It's so powerful being able to use your own voice because you can convey so
much emotion," he said.

The technology could become increasingly important in the future as the
population ages with an estimated 330,000 people in Australia experiencing a
dual
sensory loss.

The Australian trial will run alongside a US version, which has already
gained interest from organisations including the Helen Keller School and the
US
Department of Veteran Affairs.
With Best Regards,
God Bless,