[Nfbf-l] Straight from the Legislative

Jorge Hernandez jeh1065 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 17 12:07:14 UTC 2015

There have been more than 1,500 bills filed to date for the 2015 Legislative
Session in the Florida capital.  Among the bills which potentially, if
passed, can affect College students, faculty or institution are as follows:

1.  Guns on Campus -
<http://mdcmail.mdc.edu/c.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=lwo0yb,17wsl,1psb,ergd,bhkl,f7
m,hj1q> SB176/
<http://mdcmail.mdc.edu/c.html?ufl=0&rtr=on&s=lwo0yb,17wsl,1psb,6fpi,erqa,f7
m,hj1q> HB4005
These bills repeal the current prohibition of carrying a weapon on campus.
These bills would allow anyone with a license to carry a concealed handgun,
weapon or firearm, to carry these weapon on a college or university campus.
Both bills have passed the first  committee of reference, despite of strong
opposition.

This is the time to step up and make a difference as a college student to
reach out to your representatives and express your thoughts.

We as citizens of this great country have the right to bear arms, but these
arms have no rights on a college or university.  We must remember the
occurrences of Columbine, Virginia Tech, and those innocent children's and
faculty who lost their lives in Sandy Hook.

Not too long ago, Florida State University faced a similar situation and
once again the reality of a fire arm played a significant role.  The law
makers of our state need to realize that these weapons will be a deterrent
within the learning environment.

Best

Jorge Hernandez

Vice-President