[Nfbf-l] Presidential Release #474: August 2018 | National Federation of the Blind

Denise valkemadenise at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 22:48:10 UTC 2018

https://nfb.org/presidential-releases-en/pr474
Presidential Release #474: August 2018
The presidential release is a monthly audio message from Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, which is shared with every chapter of the organization.

Listen to previous episodes at nfb.org/presidential-releases.

Items Covered
It's raining in Baltimore.
NFB EQ and NFB BELL Academy are taking place this week in the building.
We had a successful AER strike July 26 through July 28 in Reno, Nevada. Unfortunately, accreditation is moving forward and they ambushed a resolution one of our members, who is also a member of AER, proposed.
Among our priorities is that AFB was named a central nonprofit entity by AbilityOne. NIB has been working with us.
We are looking to add staff members here in Baltimore. If you or someone you know want a career more than a job, want to work for the movement, and want to work in a demanding, high-energy, and highly motivated environment, email a resume and cover letter to HR at nfb.org. We have positions in events, front desk, access technology, advocacy, and membership.
The National Federation of the Blind is partnering with Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Treats® to create Braille and audio “Love Notes” so parents can share messages of love and encouragement with blind children. The “Love Notes” are an accessible version of the writable wrapper on Rice Krispies Treats®, which allows parents to include messages in their children’s lunchboxes. The new, accessible “Love Notes” are available in two forms: Braille stickers and re-recordable audio boxes. The Braille stickers are heart-shaped to match the space on Rice Krispies Treats® writable wrappers for written notes. Each Braille sticker sheet includes eight uplifting messages for parents to share with their children, such as “You’ve Got This” and “Love You Lots.” The re-recordable audio box holds a Rice Krispies Treat and, when opened, plays a 10-second pre-recorded message. The audio box messages can be re-recorded over a thousand times. A video has been produced to promote this partnership, featuring our members, Eme and Tabby Mitchell. The plan is to distribute over 6,000 sheets of Braille stickers and co-branded NFB/Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Treats® alphabet cards, as well as over 1,500 re-recordable audio boxes. A print/Braille “welcome letter” will go out in every delivery to reinforce the importance of Braille and ensure everyone gets the same welcome. The National Federation of the Blind will be prominently featured on the website about this program, including a link to subscribe to our Imagineering Our Future e-newsletter. Our participation in this initiative reflects our commitment to helping parents raise blind children who are prepared to be confident, happy, and productive members of society, as well as our emphasis on Braille literacy and accessibility. To check out the website and order "Love Notes" for your child, visit ricekrispies.com/lovenotes.
Federation family notes
Customary endings
Related Resources
Career opportunities
Resumes and cover letters (email to HR at nfb.org)
Rice Krispies Treats® "Love Notes"

Denise Valkema, President  National Federation of the Blind of Florida
(305)972-8529
president at nfbflorida.org
www.nfbflorida.org
Follow us @nfbflorida