[Nfbf-l] Letter Opposing Dining in the Dark

kaye zimpher kaye.j.zimpher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 23:26:09 UTC 2018

Hello:
I have read many of the "Dining in the Dark" comments, and I fail to see
where the NFB's opposition of this events makes us a victim of society. In
fact, I believe steering away from these events shows that we in fact are
not a victim. We don't need to blind fold the sighted to show them what our
lives are like. We are equal to the sighted and we can and do live our lives
the same as they do but for some minor modifications. I believe that putting
a group of sighted folks in the dark and asking them to complete a task that
we, the blind would find common or "normal" would only solidify their belief
that everything we do must be so terribly difficult. They would have trouble
just eating, and we all know that eating is no issue for us. I think we need
to have fundraisers that promote our abilities and our complete equality in
society, not those that contribute to society's false belief that we are not
as capable as they are.
As previously stated, just my 2 cents.
Kaye