[Nfbf-l] [NFBF-l] Letter Opposing Dining in the Dark

Kathy Davis kdavisnfbf at cfl.rr.com
Sun Oct 14 22:06:33 UTC 2018

Wonderful post on Dining in the Dark Brian! It was such a pleasure to have you and Earline at my table. Between the two of us, we were able to educate our other table guests a whole lot about how, with the appropriate skills, blind people dine out frequently. The difference is that usually we continue to dine in the dark while the light dependent have the benefit of seeing their food.
Let me say that I do have difficulty at times making certain that I don't have too bid of a bite on my fork or to suddenly realize that I have forked a piece of lemon that goes into my mouth. Kind of funny really. I am so glad that most of the chicken we are served these days are boneless as it's a real challenge for me to gracefully cut up a chicken breast that is still on the bone. I know many of our sighted guests just resorted to picking up their food and wiping their hands on their glass of water and then on the cloth napkin. After all, no one knew the difference since we were all enjoying a delicious meal in the dark. Of course, you and I did not have a problem cutting up our bondless chicken, putting salad dressing on our salads and the like. Actually, it was kind of neat having the opportunity to help our sighted guest out with these kinds of things.
All in all, great fun was had by all! Certainly sighted guests were amazed at how blind people handle it all with poise and class.

Thanks again for the beautifully written post!

Kathy