[Nfbf-l] [NFBF-Leaders] FRCB Public Forum 2/5 Daytona

Brian Norton benorton at samobile.net
Sat Jan 12 16:19:56 UTC 2019

Good morning President Denise and other NFB Florida Graduates of the
Daytona Center for Rehabilitation and Training,

I will attend this meeting, and bring other interested Greater Daytona
Beach  Chapter members.
I will discuss this issue at our January 26th chapter meeting, and urge
other Florida NFB chapters to discuss and express their concerns and
suggestions for improvement.

I strongly believe that the Daytona Center for Blind Rehabilitation and
Training could be greatly improve to focus on successful employment
outcomes for graduates of this program. When I attended the Center two
years ago, the attitude of the staff was not focused on life changing
motivation and training and job placement. More focus   on IEP oriented
long term results could avoid  persons leaving the DBS training program
back to their homes frustrated   and without sufficient assistance to
successfully compete in the job market or possess sufficient skills
with continuing individualized support to overcome  subsequent
employment difficulties.
There exist other similar rehab training schools in other states who
apparently achieve better results with more highly motivated graduates.
The experience and structure of these other centers may provide some
indications for needed changes.
Best wishes for a fantastic New Year,
Brian Norton
National Federation of the Blind
Florida NFB Greater Daytona Beach President
brian.edward.norton at outlook.com
386.871.3359