[Nfbf-l] Guide dog policies and solutions

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Wed May 1 17:44:26 UTC 2019

Good afternoon, list.

I have noted with interest the recent discussion about guide policies
relating to the paratransit contractor that has graciously volunteered to
provide transportation service to those leaving the convention on Memorial
Day.

Marion, your expertise on the detials of the law is unquestioned.  Yet I am
troubled by seeming lack of consideration for those who may be facing a
legitimate issue.  I understand this issue has been used as a cover
discriminatory actions borne out of ignorance, but I have a difficult time
believing this is the case in every instance.

Those of us who profess a Christian faith are called to not only consider
our rights but also show due concern to the rights and needs of others as
well.  We cannot just say, "Sorry, Charlie" to those who may be facing
difficult challenges such as an allergy that we may not always be aware of.
The vehicle space issue, yes, has been abused, but at some point does have
some legitimacy, as vehicles are of finite size.

What I need you to do is propose an affirmative solution, not just state
what is prohibited in law and regulation, to these issues.  What
accomodations/arrangements are permitted, and would in fact be adoptable as
best practices, that would satisfy both the legal requirement for equal
treatment and address the health and safety needs of other riders/drivers of
various modes of transport?

I don't want us to merely state what we are against, but what we would be in
favor of.

Bill Outman