[Nfbf-l] Transportation for America

PLipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Mon May 13 17:32:04 UTC 2019

From: info=t4america.org at mail.salsalabs.net
<mailto:info=t4america.org at mail.salsalabs.net>
<info=t4america.org at mail.salsalabs.net
<mailto:info=t4america.org at mail.salsalabs.net> > On Behalf Of Transportation
for America
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2019 12:20 PM
Subject: Does Infrastructure Week ever end?

<http://action.smartgrowthamerica.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=Ga5bD%2B37u3AeP0
MIXjU8HrsBwFMcH%2FWw> View this message online

<http://action.smartgrowthamerica.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=sw%2B5ZSZ8cZFrG6
Azu%2FZhjLsBwFMcH%2FWw>

T4AMERICA NEWS

Dear Patricia,

Did you know that it's Infrastructure Week once again?

After two solid years of everyone in Washington, DC talking nonstop about a
standalone infrastructure bill to pump trillions into America's
infrastructure, we'd understand if you didn't know that the last
Infrastructure Week ever ended.

If you haven't seen the evidence in your inbox already, the incessant
drumbeat for more money is already underway today. All this week, you'll
hear the usual interest groups starting this conversation by talking about
nothing but money:

Why are they telling us the price before they've told us what we're buying?

We think that this is backwards, and our Repair Priorities 2019 report,
launching tomorrow, will help show why. Even as we gave states more than
$300 billion to spend almost however they wanted to-in addition to billions
more in the 2009 stimulus-the condition of our nation's roads actually got
worse from 2009-2017. Thirty-seven states saw an increase of roads in "poor"
condition.

Our roads got worse not because we lacked money, but because too many states
spent that money on building or expanding new roads rather than being good
stewards by prioritizing repair. We built enough new lane-miles during that
period to criss-cross the country 83 times, roads that will cost us $5
billion more per year just to maintain in good condition.

This is more than a money problem-it's a priorities problem. Congress has to
stop asking taxpayers for more funding to fix crumbling roads and bridges
without providing concrete, measurable assurances that any new money will
actually improve things.

The public deserves to know first what more money is going to buy us-not
just how much money they "need." Congress' decisions over the last two
decades has just led to a lack of transportation options, more inequality,
and more and bigger roads filled with more traffic and more pollution.

If you think we need to fix our spending priorities before we even think
about pouring more money into this broken system, then bypass the
Infrastructure Week rhetoric and share our social media message for Monday
instead:

"Today is the 1st day of #InfrastructureWeek. Why in the world would we give
more money to the same people who have been neglecting basic maintenance in
order to build more things we can't afford to maintain?
#BuildWHATForTomorrow?"

Repair Priorities 2019 is being released tomorrow. Sign up for Wednesday's
3:00 p.m. EDT webinar examining the findings now.

<http://action.smartgrowthamerica.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=8NKyJp0zO3n9xGlz
mdHJF7sBwFMcH%2FWw>

<http://action.smartgrowthamerica.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=1H%2BO4ngPpP6UeK
%2FFN50%2BhbsBwFMcH%2FWw>

Did you receive this message from a friend or coworker?

<http://action.smartgrowthamerica.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=v%2FVJYgEuMgMbgE
C5vR%2Bev7sBwFMcH%2FWw> Sign up here for news & updates from Transportation
for America

Transportation for America
1152 15th Street NW Ste. 450
Washington, DC 20005

<http://action.smartgrowthamerica.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=C%2BNI95tPbHAMzz
J2N0pTa7sBwFMcH%2FWw> t4america.org

You received this because plipovsky at cfl.rr.com <mailto:plipovsky at cfl.rr.com>
is signed up with T4America.
<http://action.smartgrowthamerica.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=mCkoTxcoQNd3EpI%
2FAwVn8bsBwFMcH%2FWw> You can unsubscribe here. Any other issues? Email us
at info at t4america.org <mailto:info at t4america.org>

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam
paign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Virus-free.
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam
paign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> www.avg.com

---