[Nfbf-l] Urgent meetings

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Thu May 30 20:48:33 UTC 2019

Dear Tampa Bay chapter Family & Friends,

                Though many of us were together in Boca Raton for the annual
convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Florida, it
unfortunately fell on the same day as our chapter meeting and I missed the
gathering that would have been held at O’Brien’s in Brandon. When the family
has gathered together so consistently for more than thirty years, we miss
the comraderie of our chapter family. I look forward to seeing all y’all  at
Beef O’Brady’s on June 23! I would like to make the motion that we invite
all our NFB of Florida members to join us at our may 2020 chapter meeting
which will be held on May 23rd, 2020! Indeed, this is the plan to celebrate
our 50th anniversary in Tampa!

I realize this message is a pretty short notice; however we have been a
little busy over the past weekend! (smile) There are two important meetings
in the next two working days of vital importance to the blind community of
Hillsborough County. The first is the final day of the motion for summary
judgement hearing (MSJ) challenging the validity of the sales tax referendum
voters passed in November, 45% of which is slated for improvements to the
Hillsborough Area Regional Transit. Should this referendum be judged as
valid, HART would be able to add 150% to their current budget, all of which
must be used for direct service improvements. That means 150% more public
transportation in Hillsborough County! Friday’s hearing will be the last
three attorneys – there have been six already we have heard from – before
the parties rest. Be assured that, no matter which parties prevail, we will
be heading to Tallahassee for a Supreme Court hearing! Please join us, if
you can, but know we will have several members there to support this
referendum and will report back to you on the progress of this case! You can
join us at

800 Twiggs Street

Courtroom 501

Court begins at 9:30

If you would like to join us at Crystal Bay Café for breakfast, plan to
arrive by 8:30 – 8:45. We will leave for the Courtroom at 9:15.

                On Monday, June 3, the Hillsborough Area Regional Transit
board of directors will meet in the HART Board room, 1201 E. 7th Avenue,
Third Floor at 9:00 a.m. Due to the recent incident, I have been told that a
very large, over-flow gallery is expected. I am planning to arrive very
early to be the first in the door to get a seat in the gallery. You may wish
to do the same and plan to arrive by 8:15 – 8:30!

                I would also like to congratulate our chapter president,
Miranda Kilby, for her re-election to the Vice Presidency of the National
Federation of the Blind of florida and extend the same “Kudos!” to President
Denise Valkema, Secretary Sylvia Young, and Board Members Jorge Hernandez
and Camille Tate. Our affiliate board affirms the validity of the motto, “We
are stronger together when we work together!” Our recent convention
demonstrated the evidence of the practice of that fundamental truth by the
resulting success of our 49th annual convention. Let’s go build the
Federation!

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala