[Nfbf-l] TBL Connunuty Outreach from general session

DENISE VALKEMA valkemadenise at aol.com
Fri May 31 15:57:03 UTC 2019

NFB 2019 State Convention
May 25, 2019
Community Outreach
Sarah Smedley
Palm Beach County Library System
Talking Books Manager

The Palm Beach County Library System’s Talking Books section goes beyond just providing the free National Library Service for the Blind’s digital players and digitally recorded books.  We also give Talking Books members the opportunity to attend a wide variety of community activities.  All of our activities are funded by generous donations from a Talking Books member and her mom.  Both of their wills specially stated that their donations be used toward activities for the visually impaired community.  Our community activities are:
1. Bingo – We have Braille and large print bingo cards.
2. Book Discussions – We send books to several book groups throughout Palm Beach County.  We also have book discussions at the Florida Outreach Center for the Blind and the Lighthouse for the Blind.
3. Descriptive Movies at the Cinemark in Boca Raton -Cinemark provides the device that describes the visual elements of the movies – the action, characters, locations, costumes, and sets – without interfering with the dialogue of the movie and/or its sound effects.
4. Descriptive Movies at our office – We showed Murder on the Orient Express.  We turned our meeting room into a train’s dining car.  We serviced breakfast and enjoyed the movie.
5. Musical Performances – We sponsor musical performances in many of the Library’s branches in Palm Beach County.  We mail flyers out inviting our members to attend.  These events are free.
6. Telephone Book Discussion – We host telephone book discussions. We mail out flyers with a toll free number and a passcode to join our discussion.  Anyone can join and it is from the comfort of their own home.

Together
Denise Valkema, President  National Federation of the Blind of Florida
(305)972-8529
president at nfbflorida.org
www.nfbflorida.org
Follow us @nfbflorida