[NFBF-L] FW: Veterans Day Message

PLipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Mon Nov 11 16:45:52 UTC 2019

From: mr_president Humphrey <mr_president at nabv.org>
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2019 11:19 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Veterans Day Message

Today as I am sure you all know is Veterans Day, to those who have never served and not associated with the military it is more often a day off than a day filled with emotion, memories, and often sadness.  Not only do we remember the ones we served with we remember those who are no longer with us.  Even in the technological society we live in I have often run into dead ends trying to find brothers and sisters I have had the honor and pleasure to serve with.  Leaving me to wonder if they are even still with us or have made their final change of duty station.  If I could find them I would not only thank them for their service but thank them for being part of my journey.  Each of them has become a part of me and I am a better man for it.  Just as I have become better for knowing each of you.  I have learned from my association with you all that our determination and can-do training has never left us.  Regardless of the obstacles we encounter legal blindness or total, and the many things that change as we mature, do not stop us from keeping the mission in sight and driving toward a successful completion.  Thank you for fighting the fight with me and helping me along the way.  What I have learned in the Army and life is that a leader is only as good as the people he leads.  I have the honor and pleasure of being your president and can not think of any organization I would rather serve with.  Although, we do have our interservice ribbing, we know as an organization, we are unique, made of all of the services, and see only the shared dedication and patriotism of each individual.  Thank you for bringing out the best in me.  May your Veterans Day and everyday be blessed.  Finally thank you for your service without the one percent there wouldn’t be a United States.

Cordially,

Vern

Vernon F. Humphrey PhD

President National Association of Blind Veterans

MSG, US Army (R)

“Each of us is in essence like a rubber band ball. Culture is developed as if adding one rubber band after another. Some rubber bands are wide and comforting; some are thin, tight and painful, with a variety of sizes in-between adding to the construction. Each new rubber band changes the mass, density and dimension of the ball and how it will react to outside stimuli, just as the layers of culture change how we as humans react to situations.”