[NFBF-L] FW: The Friends 2019 Fall Newsletter

PLipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Thu Sep 12 13:42:41 UTC 2019

         Hello.

Please find the 2019 Friends Fall Newsletter both attached  and in the body
of this email.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with us, we thought we
would share it with you so you can see what the Friends are all about.  WE
sincerely hope you enjoy it.

Your Friends,

The Friends of Library access Inc.

"THE SPEAKER"

FRIENDS OF LIBRARY ACCESS, INC.

FALL 2019

IN THIS ISSUE

2019 FRIENDS TRUSTEES AND OFFICERS / MISSION      2

HELP MAKE A DIFFERENCE                                                   3

LOOKING FOR NEW TALENT                                                  4

HOW ABOUT READING THE NEWSPAPER AGAIN?           5

IN THE SPOTLIGHT
6

                      NOMINATIONS FOR FRIENDS BOARD OF TRUSTEES      7

APPLICATION AND RENEWAL FORM                                  12

BALLOT
13

2019 FRIENDS TRUSTEES AND OFFICERS

Below is an updated list of Board Members.  Officer's positions are noted
after the Board Member's name:

*	Paul Kurtz, President
*	Sheila Young, Vice-President
*	Irene Hewett, Secretary
*	Allen Bornstein, Treasurer

Board members

*	Marilyn Baldwin

*	Nancy Burgess-Hall
*	Doug Hall
*	Patricia A. Lipovsky
*	Pam Keezel
*	Betty Boyette
*	Jeff Saunders
*	Wendy Willson

MISSION

To inform the public of the availability of the FREE LOAN of books and
magazines in audio formats and Braille.

Show appreciation to the volunteers who perform invaluable service to the
Braille and Talking Book Library by sponsoring an annual volunteer
appreciation luncheon and providing other forms of recognition.

Purchase and donate materials that will assist the Braille and Talking Book
Library in its provision of accessible media, including Braille, recorded,
and electronic materials.

Advocate for improved accessibility of books and magazines, weather warnings
on television, and audio description on TV and movies.

          HELP MAKE A DIFFERENCE

The Friends of Library Access, Inc. receives no government support.

We count on individuals, such as you, to become members of Friends of
Library Access, Inc.  Annual dues and generous donations enable the Friends
to assist the Braille and Talking Book Library in providing equal access to
educational, self-help and entertainment literature for people who are print
impaired.

Join us as we seek to increase the availability of accessible media to
Florida's citizens who are blind, visually impaired, physically impaired
and/or print impaired.

In addition to membership in the Friends, we gratefully accept donations,
grants, gifts of cash and bequests.

Memberships and Donations may be sent to:

Friends of Library Access, Inc.

P.O. Box 10716

Daytona Beach, FL 32120-0716

You may also visit our web site at http://www.friendsoflibraryaccessinc.org

For further information, contact:  Patricia A. Lipovsky, Membership and
Outreach Chair at:    <mailto:plipovsky at cfl.rr.com> plipovsky at cfl.rr.com or
386-255-0288.

                                      LOOKING FOR NEW TALENT

The Friends is managed by a Board of twelve trustees, who are elected for
3-year terms by the membership.  Each November, four seats are open for
election. The Friends' Board maintains a list of potential Board of Trustees
members. Board meetings are open to anyone interested, and are held
quarterly on the 2nd Saturday of February, May, August, and November.  All
meetings are held via telephone conference, except for our November meeting
where those that can, meet in person.

Please consider serving on the Board by submitting your name and a brief
letter stating your experience, expertise and goals as it pertains to the
Friends.  Letters of Interest may be submitted by email, print, or Braille
and mailed to the Friends at:

Friends of Library Access, Inc.

P.O. Box 10716

Daytona Beach, FL 32120

Note:  You must be a member of the Friends and have attended at least one
meeting before you can apply for a board position.

For more information, contact the chair of the Nominating Committee:  Doug
Hall at 386-255-0377

                         HOW ABOUT READING THE NEWSPAPER AGAIN?

How would you like TO READ the newspaper with your morning cup of JAVA?
Well, now you can!

The NFB of Florida is proud to offer you National Federation of the Blind
NewslineR, a program sponsored by the National Federation of the Blind of
Florida and a grant from the Florida Division of Blind Services.

Many seniors have lost enough vision that reading the daily newspaper is no
longer possible.  Now, once again, they can enjoy being able to participate
actively in community affairs.  NewslineR, gives subscribers access to
newspapers, emergency weather updates, television listings, job ads, Target
store ads, many magazines, and 14 Florida newspapers.  Over 40 magazines,
ranging from the Arts, Sciences, Health and Fitness, Pop Culture and
National and International news are also available.  In addition, there are
multiple access methods such as the telephone, computer, NLS Talking Book
player, hand-held reader and the iPhone.

NFB-NEWSLINER has well over 300 publications AND it's still growing.  Four
Spanish-language newspapers are available to all subscribers.  The service
handles thousands of phone calls each day for individuals across the
country.  This also enables those who cannot read conventional print to have
access to all content offered on NFB-NEWSLINER when traveling throughout the
United States, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.

In Florida, we have several toll-free numbers for you to call to learn more.
You may contact Sherri Brun, NFBF NewslineR chair at 1-800-603-8578.

For help in Spanish, please call Paul Martinez at 1-800-558-8261.

                                             IN THE SPOTLIGHT

                                                 by Irene Hewett

    Sally Neiger has volunteered and worked at the Braille and Talking Book
Library in Daytona Beach since 2015.  She currently works four days a week
handling braille books.

    Sally grew up in Clarkston, Michigan, where she lived with her
grandparents, then with her mother and stepfather.  Sally did a lot of
acting in high school and the community, and her dream was to become an
actress.  However, she married at a young age, and had three children, two
girls and a boy.

After about 17 years of marriage, Sally went through a divorce, and put
herself through Specs-Howard School of Broadcasting in Detroit.

    Sally's first two jobs were working as a D. J. at a Rock station and as
a host at one of the first cable TV talk shows in Detroit.  After about five
years, Sally returned to the Specs-Howard School of Broadcasting to work as
a teacher and their placement director.  She also worked for ten years
during the summer and fall as a wench at the Michigan Renaissance Festival.

    For the next 20 years, Sally worked managing low-income senior housing
facilities in Ohio, Michigan and Florida.  She currently lives in one of
these facilities locally.  Sally has also worked as a waitress, driven a
school bus, managed a book store and worked in retail.

    Sally enjoys taking care of her little dog, and spending time with
friends.  She stated that she likes books and numbers, and working at the
Library keeps her involved with both.

Sally, thanks for helping out at our Volunteer luncheons, and for your work
at the Library.  You certainly have an interesting life, and we wish you
continued good health.

                     NOMINATIONS FOR FRIENDS BOARD OF TRUSTEES

Below are the nominees who have applied for our openings for 2019.  We
currently have four seats open.  They are each 3-year terms. Please look the
applicants over carefully and select who you think would be best suited to
fill these positions.

Marilyn Baldwin

Marilyn Denise Baldwin graduated from Bethune Cookman College, with a
Bachelor's of Science Degree in Elementary Education in April 1982. Marilyn
graduated from the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind, in May 1977, with
a High School Diploma. After attending Bethune Cookman College, she worked
at Wightwood School in Maitland, Florida as a Teaching Assistant and Primary
Grade Teacher from 1983 until 1986.  Ms. Baldwin worked as an Administrative
Receptionist for the City of Orlando, from 1987 until 2002, when she retired
on Long Term Disability.  Marilyn was a faithful public servant and received
many awards during her employment with local government.

Marilyn has served as an advocate for people with disabilities for many
years. Ms. Baldwin was appointed as a member of the Florida Bar Citizen's
Forum representing people with disabilities from July 2007, until July 2011.
She served as Vice Chairman from June 2009, through July 2010.  Marilyn was
also appointed by Governor Lawton Chiles, as a Commissioner on the Florida
Commission for the Transportation Disadvantaged, from 1994, until 2002.
During her tenure on the Commission, Marilyn represented Urban Citizens with
disabilities and worked to bring additional funding to the program, as well
as advocating for riders with disabilities. Commissioner Baldwin represented
the Commission on the Easter Seals Project Action National Steering
Committee from 1999 until 2001.  Ms. Baldwin served as a founding member of
the Orange County Disability Advisory Board from 1996 to 2004, serving as
chairman of the Board for five years.

Currently Marilyn continues her advocacy for persons with disabilities by
serving on the Transportation Disadvantaged Local Coordinating Board for
Orange, Osceola, and Seminole Counties. As a member of the LCB, she chairs
the Quality Assurance Task Force. Marilyn is Vice President of the National
Federation of the Blind, Greater Orlando Chapter. She is a member of the
Friends of Library Access Talking Book Board of Directors, and the League of
Women Voters of Orange County.

Ms. Baldwin is a longtime resident of Orlando, Florida.  She is an active
member of Zion New Life Lutheran Church, serving on the Board of Education,
Stewardship and Parish Involvement Boards. Marilyn served as President of
the Orlando West Zone Lutheran Women in Mission from December 2010 through
November 2013. Marilyn is Legally Blind and enjoys reading, traveling and
helping others.

Nancy Burgess-Hall

I would like to continue to serve on the Friends of Library Access, Inc.
Board of Trustees. I am a consumer of Audio Books due to limited hand
strength and dexterity resulting from juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. I am a
retired speech-language pathologist with over 30 years' experience.

I have been a member of the Friends of Library Access, Inc. (FLA) since its
inception in 1992 and have served on the Board since 1999. Prior
accomplishments include working collaboratively with members of the Braille
and Talking Book Library staff and FLA Board members to update the Friends
brochure, design the Friends signature guide, and design a license plate
promoting Accessible Media and Friends of Library Access. I currently serve
on a committee developing an updated "Talking Book" shirt for the Braille
and Talking Book Library. It will be available to volunteers free of charge
and for purchase by staff and others.

In years past, I have served in the offices of President, Vice President,
and Secretary. I have participated in numerous public education events
promoting Braille & Talking Book services and accessible media.

Aside from the Friends, I am an active member of Halifax Council of the
Blind / Florida Council of the Blind and the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory
Committee for the River to Sea Transportation Planning Organization (TPO).
I advocate for increased accessibility, independence and opportunity for
people with disabilities (including voting access, pedestrian safety,
accessible pedestrian signals, and audio description.

Dolor Ginchereau

Membership in organizations:

I am a member of Florida Council of the Blind since 2014 as an at large
member. In 2015, the Broward Council of the Blind was formed and right now,
I am the immediate past president of the chapter. I was president from
August 2016 until November 2017.

I have been a member of Friends of Library Access Inc. since late 2017.

I have been a user of the talking book library for several years. I believe
the NLS talking book program is one of the best services available to the
blind community.

We must do what it may take to ensure that the talking book program is
available to the blind for years to come well into this century and beyond.

This is why I want to serve on the board of directors of Friends of Library
Access, Inc.

Patricia Lipovsky

Hello. My name is Patricia A. Lipovsky.  I am currently a resident of
Daytona Beach, Florida, and a proud mom of three children and six
grandchildren.  I moved to Florida in the early 80's, and have been a patron
of the Braille and Talking Book Library ever since.

I was elected to the Friends board in 2010.  I am currently the chair of the
Membership and Outreach Committee, and am the editor of the Friends of
Library Access Newsletter.   I also chair a committee that is designing a
shirt for the Braille and Talking Book Library, which is given to each of
our volunteers in appreciation for all of their time and effort they put in
here at our Library with various things that need to be done.

In addition to the Friends, I am also a member of the Florida Council of the
Blind; the National Federation of the Blind; serve on the state board of the
Florida Rehab Council for the Division of Blind Services, and the President
of the Coalition for the Concerns of the Totally Blind.

Locally, I also serve on the Citizens Advisory Committee for the River to
Sea Transportation Planning Organization (TPO), am a Member of the Lions
Club, and also serve on the Local Transportation Disadvantaged Coordinating
board (TDLCB) of Votran, our local Transportation Agency.

The Braille and Talking Book Library provides a wonderful service, not only
to me, but also to many throughout the state of Florida, and is truly a
Godsend for those who are print impaired.  Being on the Friends board has
given me an opportunity to give back something in return for a wonderful
service that was provided to me for many years, as I truly do appreciate
such a service, and love my books!

So now, it is still my desire to continue giving back to the Braille and
Talking Book Library by remaining on the Friends of Library Access board.  I
will do whatever is deemed necessary to ensure and enhance the quality of
service to all print impaired patrons throughout the state of Florida, as
having accessibility to books for independence, education, employment and
pleasure is paramount to all.

Thank you.

Jeff Saunders MBA in Business, BS in Electrical Engineering, AAS in
Electrical Engineering Technology, and various advanced supervisory and
diversity courses of study.

Retired from the Federal Government in March 2011 from the Social Security
Administration as a Senior Service Representative. :)

Served on the HOA Park Shore Resort Condo Board in Naples, FL (9 years) and
the Rapallo Enclave Condo Board in Estero, FL (2 years) :),

Currently volunteering at the Lee Memorial Hospital, Gulf Coast Medical
Center with the Arts and Crafts Program and the St. Matthew's thrift store,
a non-religious faculty, operating through donations that support the local
homeless and provides shelter and training for minorities. Created and
facilitate the monthly Rapallo Community and Lamb of God Church Disability
Support Groups.

Current proud member of the Friends of Library Access and the Talking Book
Library in Daytona, FL.

Served on the City of Gainesville and Alachua County, FL Citizens Disability
Advisory Committees, including the Human Rights EEO Boards, and the
Gainesville City Hall Front Desk.

A past SCORE new business advisor/mentor and Toastmaster's membership
director.

Served on the Board of the Matheson History Museum, Gainesville, FL for 3
years, serving as volunteer coordinator and was awarded volunteer of the
year in 2013.:)

Member of local NARFE and IEEE chapters, Estero Historical Society,

Co-founder of the 501C "Pets on Wheels" program of Fairfax County, Virginia,
served as chairperson of fund-raising committee and program volunteer for 14
years.

I am a low vision impaired individual, living in Estero, FL full time and
married 37 years to the same wonderful woman, Mary Ann and have 2 dogs
(Chihuahuas). I enjoy educating, marketing and informing the residents of
SWFL on the Talking Books Program to provide increased independence for the
impaired!  I request consideration to remain a member of this amazing
board:).

Thank you for your time!

                             APPLICATION AND RENEWAL FORM

Membership is for the Calendar Year, January 1 to December 31.

All dues received after 9/1/2019 will be applied to the remainder of 2019
and the calendar year 2020.

Please complete this form and return it along with your check to:

Friends of Library Access, Inc.

P.O. Box 10716

Daytona Beach, FL 32120-0716

Today's Date: ________________________________________________

Last Name ________________ First Name _________________________

Street _________________________________ Apt. _________________

City _______________________ State _______  Zip_________________

Telephone: home: (____)________alternate: (_____)________________

PLEASE CHECK ALL THAT APPLY.  *required to process application.

*1.  Print Impaired people qualify for Free Matter for the Blind and

       Handicapped from the postal service.

* Check in front of text if you qualify ___ yes   ___ no

*2.   What media do you prefer?  (Check in front of text)

       ___ Large Print ___ E-mail ___ Audio

       ___ Braille   (should the latter 2 become available)

*If E-mail checked, write your e-mail address:

3. F.L.A. Membership Selection (Check in front of text)

    ___ Annual renewal ($10.00 per year)

    ___ Contributing Member ($50.00 or more per year)

    ___ Life Member ($200.00 may be paid in up to four installments within

            one year)

    ___ Supporting Membership ($250.00 per year group sponsorship)

4. I am interested in helping with (Check in front of text):

    ___ Public Relations /Education ___ F.L.A. Board of Trustees

    ___ Fund Raising

BALLOT

You must be a Friends member in order to vote. If you are not a current
member, please include membership dues with the ballot.

Print your name:

PLEASE CHOOSE 4 CANDIDATES for the 4 open seats.

Place a check in front of the candidate's name of choice:

______Marilyn Baldwin

______Nancy B. Hall

______Patricia A. Lipovsky

______Jeff Saunders

______Dolor Ginchereau

Write in Candidate (s):

We must receive your ballot by Thursday, November 8, 2019 unless you vote in
person.

You may MAIL the ballot with your name on it to:

Friends of Library Access, Inc.

P.O. Box 10716

Daytona Beach, FL 32120-0716

Or email to:
<file:///C:/Users/pac67e/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Interne
t%20Files/Content.Outlook/G8BQAEUM/pkk22258 at aol.com> pkk22258 at aol.com

Make Your Voice Heard - VOTE!

Newsletter Editor, Patricia A. Lipovsky

Friends of Library Access, Inc.