[NFBF-L] FW: DBS Media Report - January 31, 2020

PLipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Sun Feb 2 17:01:33 UTC 2020

Hoping this might be of interest to some.

DBS Media Report

Friday, January 31, 2020

Yahoo Finance: Applications now available for 2020 Summer Camp for Children
with Disabilities
<https://finance.yahoo.com/news/applications-now-available-2020-summer-17300
0319.html>

Too often, individuals with special needs—or are considered medically or
psychologically fragile—don't have "typical" childhood experiences found at
summer camp. Due to the severity of their disabilities, many are not
eligible to attend summer or weekend camps, or participate in other programs
offered within the special needs community. That is, until CAMP steps in.
Since 1979, Children's Association for Maximum Potential (CAMP) has provided
safe, fun-filled recreational experiences for individuals with special
needs. The mission of CAMP is to strengthen and inspire individuals with
special needs – and those who care for them.

Fox 13 News: New Exhibit Allows Visually Impaired to Experience the Beauty
of Art
<https://www.fox13news.com/news/new-exhibit-allows-visually-impaired-to-expe
rience-the-beauty-of-art>

Creative Pinellas’ sensory art exhibit was specially created for those with
visual impairments and other disabilities. The exhibit will allow you to
feel, hear and possibly smell the artwork.

Apalachicola Times:
<https://www.apalachtimes.com/sports/20200130/i-kept-trying-to-push-myself>
“I kept trying to push myself”

Retired Army Staff Sgt. Aaron Hale is the All Sports Association’s Amateur
Award winner - After losing my eyesight and, especially, after losing my
hearing, every endeavor has become a team sport,” said Hale, who lives in
Santa Rosa Beach. “I decided that if I was gonna be blind, I was gonna be
the best darn blind person I possibly could,” Hale said. “I started
researching how people with blindness still were able to do daily tasks, and
then I started researching how they got outside. I didn’t want to be stuck
indoors.” “

Common Wealth: SJC: Blind People Can Serve as Jurors
<https://commonwealthmagazine.org/courts/sjc-blind-people-can-serve-as-juror
s/>

Amy Ruell, president of the National Federation of the Blind of
Massachusetts, said, “This really affirms the fact that blind people are
able to perform effectively as jurors and to adjudicate cases, and that we
are a representative part of society.” The National Federation of the Blind
and the Disability Law Center filed an amicus brief arguing that courts
cannot bar someone from jury service solely because of a disability.

Battle Creek Enquirer: Pennfield Freshman Can
<https://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/story/sports/2020/01/30/blind-pennfield
-wrestler-michigan-bulgaria/4566312002/> ’t See but He Can Wrestle

Cleland, who is 15, sees himself as a regular kid. A regular kid, who is an
inspiration to most everyone else he meets. "When I first started wrestling,
I thought it was really challenging," he said. "But the more I wrestled I
got used to it. As a blind wrestler it can be cool because it is based on
rules, and everyone has to follow those rules whether they are blind or not.
And I feel like I can be good at it because I can use feel and I don't need
my vision."

Morgan County Citizen: The Living Life Team Helps the Visually Impaired
Reclaim Their Lives
<https://morgancountycitizen.com/2020/01/30/the-living-life-team-helps-the-v
isually-impaired-reclaim-their-lives/>

But Harris refused to stay down. She decided to relearn how to live
independently. She received mobility training and eventually agreed to live
with a guide dog named Madden. “When they first asked me if I wanted guide
dog, I said some choice words. I didn’t want a guide dog,” said Harris.
“Now, Madden and me are like peanut butter and jelly.”

IndianExpress: Good or bad, Gordon Ramsay is brutally honest: Christine Hà,
first blind MasterChef contestant and winner
<https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/food-wine/christine-ha-first-vi
sually-impaired-contestant-winner-masterchef-gordon-ramsay-6208170/>

She created history by becoming the first ever visually impaired contestant
to win the MasterChef title when she took home the coveted trophy in the
third season of the show’s US edition. Fast forward seven years and
Christine Hà is now a name to reckon with in the culinary world, with a
best-selling cookbook, a chance to judge MasterChef Vietnam and a newly
opened restaurant in her kitty. "Life is hard. Everyone has their own
challenges in life. It’s how you play the hand you’re dealt that builds
character. Don’t be afraid to fail, and remember to celebrate the small
victories."

Workforce Development

St. Louis Business Journal: Commentary: With employees still scarce,
employers look to differentiate themselves
<https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2020/01/30/commentary-with-employe
es-still-scarce-employers.html>

In increasing numbers, millennials and Generation Z are flocking to focused,
accelerated training programs that train them for in-demand, well-paying
jobs in a matter of weeks.  Employers recognize that hard skills —
frequently changing as technology and demand shift — can be taught on the
job. Conversely, this makes the harder-to-teach soft skills even more
important, especially when expectations and communication styles vary across
the five generations now working together. More companies will build out
learning and development departments or partner with educational
institutions, such as a local community college, to fill critical jobs with
existing employees.