[NFBF-L] Input from a NSU Grad and guide Dog User

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Mon Jun 15 12:50:07 UTC 2020

George,

                Welcome to the NFB of Florida and its discussion list. My name is marion Gwizdala from Tampa. I am a graduate of Nova Southeastern University with a Master of Science degree in Mental Health Counseling. I am the current president of the National Association of Guide Dog Users, finishing my sixth and last term in July.

As you research guide dog training programs, please be aware that not all programs transfer ownership upon completion of training and, even some that do, place strings on that ownership which is not really ownership in the true sense of the word. For instance, Fidelco guide Dogs claims they transfer ownership after six months; however, the contract users sign with them states “Fidelco has the right to repossess the dog at any  time and for any reason at our sole and absolute discretion.” And they have! Is this ownership? Fidelco also employs a means test – the only guide dog training program that does! Southeastern Guide Dogs also claims it transfers ownership upon completion of trainin but requires graduates to retire their dogs on or before the dog’s eleventh birthday. Furthermore, I just learned that one of the members of the Tampa bay Chapter had his dog removed without warning and with no offer of intervention because they stated the dog was overweight. Is this really ownership?As a budding attorney, would you not consider this theft?

Only the following programs transfer unconditional ownership without unwarranted interference upon completion of training:

Freedom Guide Dogs

Guide Dog Foundation

Pilot Dogs

The Seeing Eye

                All other programs either have an ownership policy that is paternalistic and custodial and not really ownership as most understand it or require you to prove your worthiness and ability by placing you on probation for up to two years and some even require you to apply for the ownership they promise! If blind people were treated by other rehabilitation programs the way we are treated by some guide dog training programs, the blind community would be all over that program. Why do we allow guide dog training programs to treat us like we were living in the 19th century? When bringing these things up, I hear guide dog users defending the program stating, “They must have a reason for it!” Well, if they have a reason, why do they hide behind confidentiality even when a signed authorization to release information is presented!

                So, do your homework and, if you would like some input from someone in this field for 35 years, please feel free to write or call me. My contact information is below my signature.

Fraternally yours,

Marion

(813) 626-2789

Marion.Gwizdala at verizon.net