[NFBF-L] FW: [NFBofSC] Positive Note 1785

Steve Cook stanley7709 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 00:32:46 UTC 2020

From: NFBofSC <nfbofsc-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Jennifer Bazer via
NFBofSC
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2020 6:28 AM
To: 'NFB of South Carolina Mailing List' <nfbofsc at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Jennifer Bazer <jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>; nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Subject: [NFBofSC] Positive Note 1785

October 26, 2020

Others

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1785

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

As I prepared a large stock pot  of homemade chicken and wild rice soup over
the weekend, I thought about how each member that makes up the South
Carolina affiliate is like the ingredients in my soup. Some ingredients take
longer to cook in the hot broth, and some are done in mere minutes. Some of
the ingredients change drastically in the hot broth while others retain
their form.

We as members are very similar. Some jump feet first into the NFB and adapt
quickly to the conditions; some put a mere toe in; while others watch from
the sidelines waiting for the right moment to dive in. Some grow with
change; some resist change; some embrace change. Just like my soup, each
ingredient became a part of an amazing smelling and scrumptious tasting pot
of deliciousness. And, just like my pot of yumminess, the talents, gifts,
resources, dedication and passion from each one of you creates a thriving
affiliate in South Carolina. What will you add to our South Carolina soup
today? This week? This month? We need all of us working together to build
the Federation in the Palmetto State and beyond. Will you join me?

The Palmetto Blind

I would love your feedback! What would you like to see in our Palmetto
Blind? Recipes? Technology? Member spotlights? Resources? Please call or
text me at 803-960-9977 or email me at jhipp25 at sc.rr.com
<mailto:jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>  with your ideas! Let's make our South Carolina
publication what you want it to be!

South Carolina Connects

              Our next South Carolina Connects meeting will be Thursday,
October 29, at 5 pm on the Zoom platform. We will be there as early as 4:30
for informal chat and to get to know one another. Please invite your chapter
members, friends and anyone interested in learning more about the NFB of SC.
I look forward to chatting with all of you!

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Message from Debra Canty, President of the Sumter Chapter of the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina cordially invites you to join them
today on the Zoom Platform, Monday, October 26, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. The City
of Sumter, Mayor Joe McElveen                               will read the
proclamation in observance of BLIND AWARENESS MONTH along with guest
speakers sharing their stories as well.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Thank you to all chapters who are celebrating Meet the Blind Month. I
understand that Cherokee and Anderson chapter activities over the weekend
were successful! We will here about statewide Meet the Blind activities at
our next Connects call!

>From Derique Simon

Hello Federation family. The South Carolina Association of Blind Students
welcome you to our spooky Trivia Night this Friday October 30th at 8 eastern
on the Federation Zoom platform. Come join us for a fun night  where we can
see who is the Scream Queen/King of the night by answering questions about
anything from scary movies to haunted houses. Looking forward to seeing you
all there.

              Do you find yourself wondering what to cook for dinner most
nights? Are you tired of making the same dishes over and over? Well stress
no longer because the South Carolina Association of Blind Students is here
to help with you need of spicying up what you do in the kitchen. We are
working on our own one of a kind cook book and we need all of your help to
make it a hit. If you have any recipes that you would like to share with us
please send them to Trista Hubbs SCABS Secretary at hubs.trista at gmail.com
<mailto:hubs.trista at gmail.com>  by November 1st

              If you made a pledge at our state convention banquet in
August, those tax deductible contributions are due at the Center no later
than December 31, 2020. If you did not make a pledge, but wish to donate to
the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please send
donations to 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. You may also pay on
our website at www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>  and look for the
donations link to pay through pay Pal. Thank you to all of those
individuals, chapters, and divisions who have fulfilled their pledges. I
will list all donors in the first Positive Note of 2021.

>From Thom Spittle, Chairman of Rocky Bottom:

The countdown is on to finding out who won the $500 prize from  our Fall
Festival drawing. The drawing will be live on Zoom, Saturday, October 31st
at 4pm. We will use the zoom meeting information found elsewhere in the
positive note.

Also, Saturday is the kickoff of the Rocky Bottom online auction.  You can
sign up at the below link on CharityAuctionsToday.com:

https://www.charityauctionstoday.com/auctions/Successful-Transitions-Online-
Auction-2020-15718

We are still adding more items. There are some one of a kind finds, as well
as some great gifts for the Holidays.

              Big News! The National Federation of the Blind of SC now has
an online enrollment membership form to pay your 2021 state dues. You will
be able to fill out the form online to provide the state office with updated
personal and contact information. You will also be able to pay your $10
state dues via secure Pay Pal. You will still need to pay your
chapter/division dues on the local level. After submitting the membership
form, you will be provided with a link to pay your $10 state dues through
Pay Pal. Your membership will not be confirmed until payment has been
received. After paying your $10 state dues via Pay Pal, we will receive a
message stating you have paid your state dues to confirm your membership.
Then you will be sent a message with a copy of your receipt for confirmation
later in the day. Please retain this confirmation for your records and proof
of payment.  Also, Pay Pal charges the NFB of SC a percentage for each
transaction. We would greatly appreciate you adding an extra $0.30 to your
donation to offset this charge.

              If you need assistance completing the online form, you are
welcome to call Steve and Shannon Cook to help at (803) 254-0222. Leave a
message with your name and contact number if we are unavailable to answer
the phone.

https://forms.gle/MGYktJPG3SatVBFWA

              The following meetings are scheduled on the Zoom platform this
week. You are welcome to attend any of these meetings, even if you are not a
member of the chapter or committee.  Please contact the chapter president
and ask if it is alright to attend their meeting.  All Committee meetings
are open to the public for listening. Contact President Bazer if you would
like to be added to any NFB of SC committee.

Here's what is coming up on Zoom for the week of October 25 through October
31, 2020.

Monday, October 26, 2020           Sumter chapter Mayor Proclamation 5:30 pm

Doing Our Fair Share 7pm

Tuesday, October 27, 2020           Diversity & Inclusion 8pm

Thursday, October 29, 2020, 5 p.m.  SC Connects with President Bazer

Saturday, October 31, 2020          Rocky Bottom Drawing and Auction Kick
off 4pm

NFBofSC Federation Center is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFBofSC Chapter and Committee meetings

Times are in  Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

             We are adding The We Care Committee which will be chaired by
Dorothy Barksdale. The purpose of this important committee will be to notify
the affiliate members of those in the hospital, homebound, and those needing
our thoughts and prayers. Cards will be mailed and phone calls made to those
needing encouragement and those celebrating milestones like marriages,
births, and anniversaries. It is a way to keep in touch with our NFB of SC
members. If you wish to serve on this committee, please contact me at
803-960-9977 or jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>  and I will add
you to the list of members.

              Below is a message from Ed Bible, Chairman of the Federation
Center in Columbia and Vice-Chairman of Rocky Bottom:

Week 6 Just one week to go!

The BIG Challenge!        Win $300 for your chapter or division!

As you know, Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind is
selling $5 Rocky Bottom fundraising tickets.  These tickets must be sold
with the filled out stubs turned in with the $5 per ticket by no later than
Friday, October 30.  Send them to, or drop them off at the Federation Center
of the Blind, 119 S. Kilbourne Rd., Columbia, SC 29205.  Checks should be
made payable to RBRCCB.

              The drawing will be on October 31 to kick off the week long
Rocky Bottom online auction ending on November 7.  The winning ticket drawn
will yield $500 to the buyer, $50 to the seller and $300 to the chapter or
division selling the most tickets!  Now that the ball is rolling, we are
offering a weekly challenge every Friday leading up to October 30, providing
the top five ticket sellers - and here they are for today!

Rank     Tickets sold        Chapter/Division

1.	313                     At Large Chapter
2.	250                       Rock Hill Chapter
3.	238                       Lancaster Chapter
4.	91                       Columbia Chapter
5.	72                       Sumter Chapter

We exceeded the $5,000 mark this week!  This past week more chapters have
entered their ticket sales others have sent in tickets too!  Lancaster and
Greenville have been hard at work as well as the At Large Chapter.  Keep up
the good work.

              Contact David Houck at 803-254-3777 if you need us to send you
more tickets or you can also reach him at  <mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr,com>
nfbsc at sc.rr,com with your ticket requests.

>From Jim Jackson

Hello, please join me Tuesday, 10/27/2020 at 6:30 for the Fred Vercher
Memorial zoom event. I will provide some of Fred's favorite tunes and some
reflections. I invite you to bring some of your favorite stories as well.
The zoom info is below this message. Thanks

Jim Jackson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Jim Jackson's Zoom Meeting

Time: Oct 27, 2020 06:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88026744934

Meeting ID: 880 2674 4934

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,88026744934# US (New York)

              Nationally:

2020 Blind and Low-Vision Voter Experience Survey:

After voting in the 2020 general election, blind and low-vision voters are
encouraged to complete our 2020 Blind and Low-Vision Voter Experience
Survey. Two separate surveys are available so that the data gathered will
accurately reflect voters' experience participating in the election.

Blind and low-vision voters who voted absentee or by mail using an
accessible, electronic ballot-delivery system or a traditional paper ballot
should complete the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YJJL7GN.

Blind and low-vision voters who cast their ballot at an early voting center
or a local polling place on Election Day should complete the survey at:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NGFMPF2. Questions about the survey should be
directed to Lou Ann Blake at lblake at nfb.org <mailto:lblake at nfb.org>  or
410-659-9314, extension 2221, or to Jeff Kaloc at jkaloc at nfb.org
<mailto:jkaloc at nfb.org>  or 410-659-9314, extension 2206. Please note these
are updated links from those that were sent out last week. If you forwarded
those links to your members, be sure to also forward these with a note
alerting them to the difference.

The Live Presidential Release will be November 1 at 8:00 p.m. Please watch
our NFB of SC listserv for zoom info.

Final Thought: "You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, love like
you'll never be hurt, sing like there's nobody listening, and live like it's
heaven on earth." William W. Purkey

NFB Pledge - I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

NFB One Minute Message - "The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every
day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations
create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com> .