[NFBF-L] 2020 Student Scholarships

merrys at verizon.net merrys at verizon.net
Sat Nov 14 13:58:19 UTC 2020

Dear Florida Federationists,

As the chair of the student scholarship committee, I am so very pleased that
a majority of those chosen to receive a scholarship award this year are
becoming actively involved in our affiliate.  Energy and excitement about
the National Federation of the Blind of Florida is being demonstrated during
the Florida Association of Blind Students' calls.  Thank you to all of you
who have participated in these calls!

The affiliate was able to provide six scholarships this year in the amount
of $1575 each.  We could not have done this without the financial support of
the Central Florida, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville, Melbourne Space Coast,
Miami Dade, Palm Beach, Statewide, Tampa Bay, and Tallahassee chapters.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

A big thanks to  the committee members Brian Norton, Camille Tate, Jorge
Hernandez, Paul Martinez, Miranda Kilby, and Jada Christie. Each member of
the committee was assigned a mentee to mentor.  The dedication and devotion
each mentor provided to their mentee is greatly appreciated.  I believe it
is because of the relationships you formed with them before convention
contributed to their excitement about our organization. I know you are still
encouraging and molding them to be our future leaders.

The 2021 convention is slated to be an on sight convention.  If we are able
to give six scholarships again, that would be fantastic.  However, being on
sight means more expense.  I encourage you to speak with your chapter
members to see how your chapter may be able to help this important program
of the National Federation of the Blind of Florida.

Wishing you all a healthy, safe, and peaceful Thanksgiving!

With warmest regards,

Merry