[NFBF-L] Legislative update

DENISE VALKEMA valkemadenise at aol.com
Mon Oct 5 20:32:32 UTC 2020

Transformation to Competitive Employment Act:
We recently sent a letter regarding the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act (H.R. 873/S. 260)to the leaders of the House and the Senate. This letter was in response to the recent report published by the United States Commission on Civil Rights in which it recommends that subminimum wages for people with disabilities should be phased out. Our letter pointed out that this recommendation is not new among government agencies and referenced multiple reports over the past decade that made the same recommendation. A copy of our letter was also sent to every member of Congress.

Last week H.R. 8478 was introduced in the House. This is another “notice and cure” bill that weakens the foundations of the ADA, and we strongly oppose it. Please call your members of Congress and let them know that they should vote against this dangerous and harmful legislation.

Denise Valkema, President  National Federation of the Blind of Florida
(305)972-8529
president at nfbflorida.org
www.nfbflorida.org
Follow us @nfbflorida