[NFBF-L] Legislative Priorities Announced for 118th Congress and for 2023 Washington Seminar

russell at radiorusty.com russell at radiorusty.com
Wed Dec 14 00:18:40 UTC 2022

Hello Again Everyone,

The Office of Advocacy and Policy for the National Federation of the Blind
has provided information regarding the three legislative priorities for the
upcoming Washington Seminar and for the start of the 118th Congress. We
eagerly await this exciting announcement each December and so, I am glad to
be able to provide you with the information as it currently stands.

Two of the three bills are familiar to us already and the third is new to
us. The issues are:

1.	Website and Software Applications Accessibility Act
2.	Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act
3.	Eliminating the "Earnings Cliff" for SSDI.

Fact sheets for these three prospective pieces of legislation are being
developed and should be released sometime around January 6th, 2023. Although
the fact sheets for the Medical and Website bills will most likely look a
bit differently than they did in the 117th Congress, it might be helpful to
read over them again. Remember too that the bills will have new House and
Senate bill numbers once they are reintroduced.

As for the Access Technology Affordability Act, we are watching carefully
the proceedings for the omnibus and tax extension bills working there way
through Congress this month. We are hopeful that the ATAA will be included
in the large package of bills that may come up for a vote before the 118th
Congress adjourns. If the ATAA does not get passed into law this year, we
are hopeful we will see it again sometime in early 2023 and can recapture
the tremendous amount of support it currently has.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you and I look forward to
sharing more soon.

Respectfully,

Russ Davis, Co-Legislative Director,

Ph. 904-993-8433