[NFBF-L] Washington Seminar

MARILYN BALDWIN commmdb at aol.com
Fri Mar 18 13:25:48 UTC 2022

Washington Seminar

Dear Members and Friends,

It has come to my attention that during one of my first training meetings for our 2022 Virtual Washington Seminar, a statement that was made by me was misunderstood by some individuals who were present. I do not believe that my statement was inappropriate. As we were informally talking before the Aide to the Congresswoman entered the room, I stated that it would be good if there were someone that looked like me to speak on one of the issues to be discussed. I wanted to make a point of having a person who lived in the district of Representative Val Demings to be present. The Congresswoman and I are both African Americans.

I worked as an Administrative Assistant with the City of Orlando for over 14 years before retiring on Medical Disability and that is how I came to know Congresswoman Demings. She spoke during one of our National Conventions in Orlando,I believe. After her presentation to the entire audience, she came down to where our Florida Delegation was seated and we visited for a short time. I was delighted that she remembered who I was. By no means was my statement ment to give the impression that only African American people could speak with our Congresswoman. My words were only to share with the host that the Congresswoman or her Aide see a member from her constituents that is a female, blind, an active member of our organization the NFB, and who is also blind.

As I recall, there were other speakers who were not all African American and who did an outstanding job presenting the issues with the Congressional Aide during the meeting, as it should be. We had a good discussion of the 2022 NFB Legislative priorities. Second Vice President Camille Tate thought that the local connection might be helpful in reaching Representative Demings. Please understand that I am also like many of you are, blind and I have compassion and understand the desire of all blind people to live a productive, independent lifestyle,with the education and skills to do so. For some members racism makes this desire even. More difficult.

A good comparison of my statement would be that we in the blind community would not want our local and state agency leaders to develop plans and procedures for blind people without blind people present , and providing meaningful input. Honestly I thought that I was being helpful to our Affiliate. If my statement made anyone feel uncomfortable , I am sorry. My words were and are ment for more diversity and Inclusion at all levels of this organization. Our African American members have often lived with discrimination during our entire lives. Being blind and Black is no exception to this hardship of life. It hurts me that I am having to defend my advocacy work for Diversity and Inclusion in the National Federation of the Blind of Florida.

Diversity. and equal treatment of all persons is what my life in and outside of the Federation is all about. I am a 1982 graduate of Bethune Cookman University in Daytona Beach, Florida. Currently I Co Chair the League of Women Voters of Orange County DEIA Committee. I also serve on the Orange County League Board of Directors. I am a member of the Orange County Branch NAACP. I was a founding member of the Orange County ADA Advisory Board and served as Chairman for over five years. Our Florida Bar has an organization called the Fl. Bar Citizens Forum and I was a member and served one term as Vice Chairman. I have spent many years working for Civil Rights in the disability field . My Faith life includes active membership with Zion Lutheran Church in Orlando, Florida for the last 20 years now. I have served in various leadership roles in my congregation. I am by no means perfect, but wish good will to everyone. Our Affiliate Diversity Committee was and is my dream , allowing persons who are minorities, to have leadership roles and responsibilities in the Federation within the Florida Affiliate. God has blessed me to serve on many levels in this organization as I mentor leaders to come.

The very thought that someone would think anything other than the desire and issues that I have mentioned here is a concern to me. I have discussed this matter with my colleagues and business associates, and no one has thought there was anything racist or inappropriate in my comments during the training workshop, only the desire to help the meeting to go well. It was a statement of reality. I continue to represent our local community of disabled riders who cannot drive and use our local Paratransit program in Orange, Seminole and Osceola Counties. I have served in this capacity for over 20 years now. I credit membership in the Federation as one of the tools making all of this possible. Oh my Bachelor of Science Degree was in Elementary Education.

Because I believe in the work of the Federation, I have supported this organization not only as a member, but with my finances in the PAC program and in our local and state fundraising activities. I encourage our local membership to consider doing the same, so that our work to help blind people will continue. This is what members who are truly committed to the NFB will want to do.

These are all very difficult times that we live in. In talking about issues that like race relationships misunderstandings can arise easily. It can often be helpful to talk with the person or group that is directly involved and listen for greater understanding on both sides of issues and concerns. Again, if someone was hurt or did not understand what or why I said this I am truly sorry. Please come to our Diversity Committee meetings and help us to work on bringing many blind blind people to National Federation of the Blind of Florida. I truly hope that our Diversity Committee can be the safe space for open and honest discussions about race and culture for the members of our Affiliate. Let us not allow divisions to undermine the important work of inclusion in the blind community.

Marilyn Baldwin
Chairman
Diversity Committee
NFBF
(407)810-0554

If there are any typing errors in my document, please forgive them, and charge them to my hands and not my heart or mind.

Sent from my iPad