[NFBF-L] Cost of living adjustment for Social Security for 2023

licib85 at gmail.com licib85 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 16:05:21 UTC 2022

Copied and pasted for those who are having issues. Thank you.

Fact Sheet

SOCIAL SECURITY

2023 SOCIAL SECURITY CHANGES

Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA):

Based on the increase in the Consumer Price Index (CPI-W) from the third quarter of 2021 through the third quarter of 2022, Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) beneficiaries will receive an 8.7 percent COLA for 2023. Other important 2023 Social Security information is as follows:

Tax Rate

2022

2023

Employee

7.65%

7.65%

Self-Employed

15.30%

15.30%

NOTE: The 7.65% tax rate is the combined rate for Social Security and Medicare. The Social Security portion (OASDI) is 6.20% on earnings up to the applicable taxable maximum amount (see below). The Medicare portion (HI) is 1.45% on all earnings. Also, as of January 2013, individuals with earned income of more than $200,000 ($250,000 for married couples filing jointly) pay an additional 0.9 percent in Medicare taxes. The tax rates shown above do not include the 0.9 percent.

2022

2023

Maximum Taxable Earnings

Social Security (OASDI only)

$147,000

$160,200

Medicare (HI only)

No Limit

Quarter of Coverage

$1,510

$1,640

Retirement Earnings Test Exempt Amounts

Under full retirement age

$19,560/yr.
($1,630/mo.)

$21,240/yr.
($1,770/mo.)

NOTE: One dollar in benefits will be withheld for every $2 in earnings above the

limit.

Social Security National Press Office   Baltimore, MD

2022

2023

The year an individual reaches full
retirement age

$51,960/yr.
($4,330/mo.)

$56,520/yr.
($4,710/mo.)

NOTE: Applies only to earnings for months prior to attaining full retirement age.
One dollar in benefits will be withheld for every $3 in earnings above the limit.

Beginning the month an individual
attains full retirement age

None

2022

2023

I   Social Security Disability Thresholds

Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA)

Non-Blind

$1,350/mo.

$1,470/mo.

Blind

$2,260/mo.

$2,460/mo.

Trial Work Period (TWP)

$   970/mo.

$1,050/mo.

Maximum Social Security Benefit: Worker Retiring at Full Retirement Age

$3,345/mo.

$3,627/mo.

SSI Federal Payment Standard

Individual

$ 841/mo.

$ 914/mo.

Couple

$1,261/mo.

$1,371/mo.

SSI Resource Limits

Individual

$2,000

$2,000

Couple

$3,000

$3,000

SSI Student Exclusion

Monthly limit

$2,040

$2,220

Annual limit

$8,230

$8,950

Estimated Average Monthly Social Security Benefits Payable in January 2023

Before

8.7% COLA

After

8.7% COLA

All Retired Workers

$1,681

$1,827

Aged Couple, Both Receiving
Benefits

$2,734

$2,972

Widowed Mother and Two Children

$3,238

$3,520

Aged Widow(er) Alone

$1,567

$1,704

Disabled Worker, Spouse and One or
More Children

$2,407

$2,616

All Disabled Workers

$1,364

$1,483

This press release was produced and disseminated at U.S. taxpayer expense.

Alicia D Betancourt
Licensed Clinical Social Worker, SW20198
Community Work Incentives Coordinator (CWIC)
(386) 589-7324

Confidentiality Notice:
This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact me by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.  Thank you.