[NFBF-L] ESA Doctor Under Investigation

marion.gwizdala at verizon.net marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Wed Oct 26 17:38:49 UTC 2022

Please share this as widely as appropriate. For more information about the programs and services of Advocates for Service Animal Partners, please contact ASAP at                                              advocacy411 at gmail.com <mailto:advocacy411 at gmail.com>

ServiceAnimals.info

office: 386-ASAP411

Follow us on Facebook.com/asap411

If you are experiencing an active accessibility denial, call our Hotline: 855-ASAP211

ESA Doctor Under Investigation!

Advocates for Service Animal Partners has been listening to the concerns of those who use service and assistance animals to mitigate their disabilities. One of the frequent complaints we hear is how the proliferation of fraudulent online certifications of service and assistance animals negatively impact our lives. Such bogus letters issued by online companies, signed by licensed health care practitioners, and issued to unscrupulous individuals who misappropriate our civil rights to bring their untrained animals into public places where pets are prohibited and dodge legitimate pet restrictions and fees by housing providers call into question our right to be accompanied by our service animals. ASAP has taken a stand on this issue and our position is being taken seriously.

A few states have criminalized the provision of such fraudulent certifications. According to Pennsylvania statute § 405.5(1) entitled, “Misrepresentation of entitlement to assistance animal or service animal”, “A person commits the offense of misrepresentation of entitlement to assistance animal or service animal if the person intentionally misrepresents to another that the person has a disability or disability-related need for the use of an assistance animal or service animal in housing”. On July 29, 2022, Advocates for Service Animal Partners filed a complaint on behalf of a woman who received an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) certification letter from Dr. Frank J. Welch, a medical doctor licensed by the state of Pennsylvania after completing an online questionnaire on the Support Pets website. Dr. Welch never examined the woman and never even spoke with her. Nonetheless, within hours of completing the online survey, she received a letter signed by Dr. Welch stating, “I am a licensed doctor who has evaluated the emotional profile of [REDACTED] and has determined that [REDACTED] qualifies to have an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) for [REDACTED] psychological disability recognized by the DSM-V.” We have been notified by the Pennsylvania Department of State, Bureau of Enforcement and Investigation, Board of Medicine that they have opened an investigation of Dr. Welch for violation of their state laws and disciplinary action against Dr. Welch’s medical license. We are also urging the Pennsylvania Attorney General to investigate Dr. Welch and file the appropriate criminal charges against him.

          Frank Welch is also a licensed medical doctor in Florida. In July 2020, Florida enacted a law criminalizing the provision of such fraudulent certifications. Advocates for Service Animal Partners has also filed a complaint with the Florida Department of Health, Board of Medicine against Dr. Welch for violating Florida’s law. We will keep you posted on how these complaints pan out!

Sincerely,

ADVOCATES FOR SERVICE ANIMAL PARTNERS INC.

Marion Gwizdala

President/CEO