[NFBF-L] My resignation

Mark Tardif markspark at roadrunner.com
Sat Jun 3 17:39:19 UTC 2023

I certainly understand your concerns, but I’m going to put up a friendly challenge to what you have said.  And please keep in mind that what I am going to say is just my opinion.  Concerning last year’s convention, the elevator systems in both hotels were a challenge and took some patience getting used to.  But I actually found the system to be quite accessible once you knew what to do.  The elevators even spoke to you if you pushed that long button at the bottom of the key pad.  I think that’s a whole lot better than listening for a door to open and hoping that this particular car was going up or down.  Street intersections and traffic patterns in many cities are becoming more complex and, well, crazy, so that does seem to be an area where the national organization has some work to do, researching intersections between hotels and explaining how they actually work.  I would also say, however, that in Houston, the two hotels are connected by an indoor walk through a convention center.  It’s always a terrible thing when someone gets hit by a vehicle, so perhaps further attention to traffic safety should be considered.  But even in the past, we have often had overflow hotels at national conventions.  Take Chicago, 1988 when the main hotel was the magnificent Hyatt but there was at least one overflow hotel, the Executive House Ramada.  And anybody can challenge me on this, but most of the time it seems to work.  I say that, of course, as someone who likes to visit new urban areas.  But I do think that it would be a whole lot fairer, regarding virtual voting, for national to relax that policy.  Yes, as members who take the NFB pledge, we pledge to “abide by its constitution,” so we do have to respect that.  So maybe the thing to do is to phone and email National to see if amendments can be considered in this area.

Mark Tardif
Nuclear arms will not hold you.