[NFBF-L] FW: [The Conduit] Happy white Kane day; a cane's perspective

Kaye Baker kaye.j.zimpher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 17:41:50 UTC 2023

Received this and thought some might like it on this list.
Happy white Kane day; a cane's perspective

Canes perspective

You're not the only one who's felt embarrassed to be seen

outside walking with me

this for many's always been

a part of the whole whole process as together we will train

but in time you will realise

you'll soon be proud again

I'm made to give you back the things that you may feel you've lost

like pride and independence all the things that blindness cost

I'm not a sign of weakness

I'm a reason to be proud

alleviate anxiety w hen you are in a crowd

Sometimes I'm left behind

or folded up inside your hand

But I'll be ready for you

I won't judge I understand

I know these feelings natural

It's the way that people stare

when you can still see somethings

but for blindness you prepare

You don't need to see nothing to be able to use me

that's not the way that blindness works it fades so differently

I'm here to be a symbol and signal that you're strong

a reason not to isolate

a reason to belong

So when you're feeling ready I'll be with you day or night

unfold me hold me confident and swipe me left to right

Eventually you'll come to terms our partnership remain

It's me and you forever

I am your mobility cane