[NFBF-L] YouTube Video Tests Lyft’s Commitment to Transport Service Animals

marion.gwizdala at verizon.net marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Mon Sep 18 22:29:37 UTC 2023

Please circulate the following message as widely as appropriate.

A new YouTube video published by a self-described Rideshare expert will test Lyft’s commitment to complying with state and federal law while upholding its driver terms and conditions. In this offensive video, a Lyft driver expresses his opposition to transporting service animals by contending that “Lyft forces drivers to transport service animals”. The fact this ignorant, ablest rant misses is that it is not Lyft requiring this driver to transport us with our service animals. It is state and federal law!

In addition to demonstrating his willingness to violate our legally protected civil rights and encourage others to do so, what he asserts are the same lies and misinformation that lie at the heart of our struggles for equal participation in society on terms of equality. He asserts service animals are dirty and smelly, leaving dog hair all over the vehicle, licking the backs of the seats and drooling on the floor. He contends carrying service animals “does not make good business sense”. It is our hope that you will join us to tell Lyft and this fool that violating our civil rights is what does not make good business sense!

Finally, this individual’s ignorance is further illustrated in his assertions that people have brought service rabbits and snakes into his vehicle, asserting he is being “forced by Lyft” to transport these creatures. Since service animals are only dogs and, in some circumstances, miniature horses, the absurdity of his rant is on full display.

Advocates for Service Animal Partners has contacted Lyft and YouTube concerning this issue. We have demanded that Lyft stand in solidarity with service animal handlers by immediately and permanently deactivating this driver’s account, publicly denouncing this video, advising drivers that following this ill-informed advice will lead to immediate, permanent deactivation of the driver’s Lyft account, and advise Advocates for Service Animal Partners when these steps are taken so we can publicize it widely and send the message that we will not tolerate the denial of our civil rights.

We have also asked that YouTube remove the video because it violates its user terms and conditions by inciting and encouraging others to participate in illegal behavior.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

Advocates for Service Animal Partners encourages you to contact Lyft and send them the message that you expect them to comply with state and federal law and their driver terms and conditions by permanently deactivating this driver’s profile and publicizing the deactivation as widely as possible to demonstrate Lyft’s commitment to providing full and equal access to their vehicles by service animal handlers. You can submit your complaint on the Lyft app or by calling (844) 554-1297. (A PRIOR MESSAGE TRANSPOSED THIS NUMBER BUT THIS ONE IS CORRECT!) When you file your complaint, be sure to give Lyft the URL below so they can see it for themselves!

We also urge you to go to this driver’s YouTube channel

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlcGCVuxORw> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlcGCVuxORw

There you will be able to hear the ignorance for yourself. While you are there, dislike the video, make your comments about how ignorant and misinformed this driver is in the comment section, and report the video to YouTube for inciting and encouraging illegal behavior.

Once you have filed your complaints, please let us know so we can have a handle on our network’s effectiveness. Please visit our website  <https://www.serviceanimals.info> https://www.ServiceAnimals.info

and click on “Become a Partner”. There you will find a contact form to complete. Please complete this form and let us know what you have done on this front in the comments section. Not only will we know how our advocacy efforts are working, we will be able to let the public know the force of the service animal advocacy movement. In addition, you will be able to keep up with all the invaluable work of Advocates for Service Animal Partners, the only organization dedicated exclusively to securing, protecting, and advancing the civil rights of those of us who use service animals.

Finally, remember that Advocates for Service Animal Partners offers the only 24-hour hotline for service animal information. You can call ASAP211 by dialing 855-ASAP211 (855-272-7211). Let’s move forward together!

Advocates for Service Animal Partners is the only organization in the United States supporting, protecting, and advancing the civil rights of those of us who use service animals to live full, productive lives. Continuing and expanding this work is essential! Please consider supporting Advocates for Service Animal Partners by making a one-time or recurring gift. Simply visit

https://www.Service Animals.info/Support Us

and complete the donation form. All donations are tax-deductible under IRS 501c(3). While on our site, please subscribe to our email newsletter.

Marion Gwizdala, President/CEO