[NFBF-Melbourne] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] Legislative Alert - April 30, 2019

ctate2076 at att.net ctate2076 at att.net
Tue Apr 30 23:43:58 UTC 2019

From: NFBNet-Members-List <nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf
Of Pare, John via NFBNet-Members-List
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 10:30 AM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Legislative Alert - April 30, 2019

Dear Fellow Federationists:

Thanks to everyone for your calls and emails over the two week break. Due to
your tremendous efforts we gained eight cosponsors across all of our bills
during the break (Five on H.R. 2086: Stephanie Murphy of Florida, Chris
Stewart of Utah, Jim Cooper of Tennessee, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan, Brian
Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania; Two on S. 815: Deb Fischer of Nebraska, Tammy
Duckworth of Illinois; One on H.R. 873 Jim Cooper of Tennessee). This is a
significant accomplishment, but we can't celebrate too much because there is
still much work left to do!

Please call your representative and two senators and urge them to cosponsor
these two bills if they have not already done so. A complete list of current
cosponsors is included at the end of this email. A summary of the two bills
follows.

Transformation to Competitive Employment Act House - H.R. 873 - Sponsored by
Bobby Scott (D-VA-3) Senate - S. 260 - Sponsored by Bob Casey (D-PA) These
bills would phase out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act over a
six-year period, at which point the provision would officially be sunset.

Access Technology Affordability Act
House - H.R. 2086 - Sponsored by Mike Thompson (D-CA-5) Senate - S. 815 -
Sponsored by John Boozman (R-AR) This legislation removes an employment
barrier commonly experienced by blind Americans who cannot afford the high
cost of access technology by creating a refundable tax credit in the amount
of $2,000 to offset the cost of these technologies.

When you call or email, you might say something like the following:
"Hello, my name is [your name] and I am a constituent of [your
senator/representative]. I live in [city, state]. I am calling to urge [your
senator/representative] to cosponsor [S. 260 for Senate calls/H.R. 873 for
House calls], the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act. This bill
would phase out subminimum wages for people with disabilities over a
six-year period, at which point Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards
Act, the provision that allows this practice, would be sunset. I urge [your
senator/representative] to cosponsor the bill.

I am also calling to urge [your senator/representative] to cosponsor [S. 815
for Senate calls/H.R. 2086 for House calls], the Access Technology
Affordability Act. This legislation removes an employment barrier commonly
experienced by blind Americans who cannot afford the high cost of access
technology by creating a refundable tax credit in the amount of $2,000 to
offset the cost of these technologies. I urge [your senator/representative]
to cosponsor the bill.

Thanks."

You can contact your member of Congress by calling the Capitol Switchboard
and asking for the office in question. The number is 202-224-3121. If you
email your representative or senators, please copy Gabe Cazares at
gcazares at nfb.org<mailto:gcazares at nfb.org>.

List of cosponsors as of April 30, 2019:
Transformation to Competitive Employment Act S. 260 Sen. Harris, Kamala D.
[D-CA] Sen. Duckworth, Tammy [D-IL] Sen. Van Hollen, Chris [D-MD] Sen.
Hassan, Margaret Wood [D-NH] Sen. Gillibrand, Kirsten E. [D-NY]

Transformation to Competitive Employment Act H.R. 873 Rep. Cisneros, Gilbert
Ray, Jr. [D-CA-39] Rep. DeSaulnier, Mark [D-CA-11] Rep. Harder, Josh
[D-CA-10] Rep. Huffman, Jared [D-CA-2] Rep. Neguse, Joe [D-CO-2] Rep.
Norton, Eleanor Holmes [D-DC-At Large] Rep. Wilson, Frederica S. [D-FL-24]
Rep. Gabbard, Tulsi [D-HI-2] Rep. Moulton, Seth [D-MA-6] Rep. Pressley,
Ayanna [D-MA-7] Rep. Maloney, Sean Patrick [D-NY-18] Rep. Morelle, Joseph D.
[D-NY-25] Rep. Ocasio-Cortez, Alexandria [D-NY-14] Rep. Kaptur, Marcy
[D-OH-9] Rep. Ryan, Tim [D-OH-13] Rep. Bonamici, Suzanne [D-OR-1] Rep. Dean,
Madeleine [D-PA-4] Rep. Fitzpatrick, Brian K. [R-PA-1] Rep. Gonzalez-Colon,
Jenniffer [R-PR-At Large] Rep. Cooper, Jim [D-TN-5] Rep. Burgess, Michael C.
[R-TX-26] Rep. Rodgers, Cathy McMorris [R-WA-5] Rep. Pocan, Mark [D-WI-2]

Access Technology Affordability Act S. 815 Sen. Jones, Doug [D-AL] Sen.
Sullivan, Dan [R-AK] Sen. Duckworth, Tammy [D-IL] Sen. Collins, Susan M.
[R-ME] Sen. Cardin, Benjamin L. [D-MD] Sen. Van Hollen, Chris [D-MD] Sen.
Tester, Jon [D-MT] Sen. Fischer, Deb [R-NE] Sen. Hassan, Margaret Wood
[D-NH] Sen. Udall, Tom [D-NM] Sen. Burr, Richard [R-NC] Sen. Wyden, Ron
[D-OR] Sen. Casey, Robert P., Jr. [D-PA]

Access Technology Affordability Act H.R. 2086 Rep. Gaetz, Matt [R-FL-1] Rep.
Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7] Rep. Tlaib, Rashida [D-MI-13] Rep. Blumenauer,
Earl [D-OR-3] Rep. Fitzpatrick, Brian K. [R-PA-1] Rep. Kelly, Mike [R-PA-16]
Rep. Cooper, Jim [D-TN-5] Rep. Stewart, Chris [R-UT-2]

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 410-659-9314,
extension 2218 or email me at JPare at nfb.org<mailto:JPare at nfb.org>.

Thanks,

John

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is
confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others
authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in
relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may
be unlawful.

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been
automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a
Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for
your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and
compliance. To find out more visit the Mimecast website.