[NFBF-Melbourne] FW: [NFBF-L] FW: [echo] Article: Amazonʼs Echo can now help describe grocery items to the visually impaired (fwd)

ctate2076 at att.net ctate2076 at att.net
Tue Sep 24 22:05:25 UTC 2019

From: NFBF-L <nfbf-l-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of PLipovsky via NFBF-L
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 5:29 PM
To: fcb-l at acblists.org
Cc: PLipovsky <plipovsky at cfl.rr.com>; nfbf-l at nfbnet.org
Subject: [NFBF-L] FW: [echo] Article: Amazonʼs Echo can now help describe grocery items to the visually impaired (fwd)

-----Original Message-----
From: echo at groups.io <echo at groups.io> On Behalf Of nancy Lynn
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 3:46 PM
To: EGL <echo at groups.io>

I got this from another list and thought you'd like to see it.

Amazon’s Echo can now help describe grocery items to the visually impaired Article Link:
https://siliconangle.com/2019/09/23/amazons-echo-can-now-help-describe-grocery-items-visually-impaired/
Amazon.com’s virtual assistant just got more intelligent after the company revealed Monday<https://blog.aboutamazon.com/devices/alexa-what-am-i-holding> that the visually impaired can now ask it what they are holding.
The new feature, called “Show and Tell,” enables customers who are blind or people with low vision to hold an item in front of first- and second-generation Echo Show devices and ask, “Alexa, what am I holding?” or “Alexa, what’s in my hand?” The object will then be identified using Amazon’s machine learning technology.
That could be especially helpful for grocery items such as tins and boxes that might be hard to identify properly. As Amazon demonstrated in a video, a blind person asked Alexa what she’s holding and Alexa replied, “It looks like tea.”
“The whole idea for Show and Tell came about from feedback from blind and low vision customers,” said Sarah Caplener, who leads Amazon’s Alexa for Everyone team. “We heard that product identification can be a challenge and something customers wanted Alexa’s help with. Whether a customer is sorting through a bag of groceries, or trying to determine what item was left out on the counter, we want to make those moments simpler by helping identify these items and giving customers the information they need in that moment.”
Partnering with California-based Vista Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired, Amazon worked with visually impaired people to understand the problems they have at home and how Alexa could help.
One volunteer who is completely blind called the technology “revolutionary,”
saying with such devices acting as his eyes, he is much more independent. He said he likes to cook, but without the help of a personal assistant, it’s impossible to know what spice he is holding. In another example, Alexa identifies for him a box of macaroni and cheese.
“It’s essential to work with our customers, not just for them, to create something that’s truly helpful,” said Caplener.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#3041): https://groups.io/g/echo/message/3041
-=-=-
To post a message send  it to: echo at groups.io Have an iDevice that you need help with or want to know more about how to use it?  Try the iDevice group.  Send an email message to, iDevices+subscribe at groups.io.
This list is owned  by, Gateway For  the Blind LLC.
http://www.gatewayfortheblind.com
The Gateway To  Independence

-=-=-
Group Owner: echo+owner at groups.io