[NFBF-Melbourne] Weekend Devotion: (Sun., April 12, 2020) THE RESURRECTION!

Julia Savage jisavage at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 12 11:29:58 UTC 2020

Amen!  Thank you, Joyce, for this wonderful message on this glorious day!

Julia Savage

"Do what you can with all you have, wherever you are"
~ Theodore Roosevelt

    On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 12:12:24 AM EDT, Joyce Taylor via NFBF-Melbourne <nfbf-melbourne at nfbnet.org> wrote:

Hello Everyone!  Rise, shine and Give God the Glory!  Jesus rose, and we too shall rise again  Happy Resurrection Sunday!  I must confess, this is the first Easter Sunday that I have not dressed up and went to Church.  I would dress myself and two boys in their new suits , shoes and hats and off to Church we went.  That is the way I was raised and tradition is hard to break; however, after pondering over what is going on with Covid 19 and not being able to assemble ourselves together in a Church building, I acknowledged that it is and never was about dressing up and meeting at the Church because we are the Church!  Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost.  Of course, nothing is wrong with looking good, I do believe that the Lord would be glad that we enhance our appearances, but first and foremost, we must clean up our hearts.  God looks at the heart.

So on this Resurrection Sunday, let us examine ourselves, take a look on the inside and not the outside and see if God is pleased with us.  For what does it profit me to look good and lose my soul.

On this Resurrection Sunday, God has the full attention of the whole wide world!  He has put everything on pause, shut us all in and has given us another opportunity to remember what He created us for in the first place – To Worship and Praise Him!

I pray that you will be encouraged as well as inspired by my Greek Professor, Elder Joseph Barrett’s message below on ”The Resurrection”.

God bless,

Dr. Joyce Taylor, VP, MSCC

Communities of Faith Committee Member

THE RESURRECTION

"Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up...But he spake of the temple of his body" (John 2:19, 21.)

>From the standpoint of medical science, once an individual dies, there is no hope whatsoever of him or her living again. Although the literary masterpiece

named "Frankenstein" written by Mary Shelley and published in 1821 told the story of a scientist who gave life to a nonliving corpse, life from death remains

limited to the imagination and fiction novels. But believers have a hope that transcends medical science and human experience. Jesus conquered both death

and the grave. He rose. His future resurrection was not kept secret either. He told His enemies and disciples that He would rise from the dead if/when

killed (destroyed.) He foretold the following to His disciples. "And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and

the third day he shall rise again" (Matthew 20:19.) To His enemies He said "...Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up" (John 2:19.)

Resurrection is a raising from the dead. Medical science defines death as "...the cessation of all biological functions that sustain a living organism."

However, the Scriptures define death as the departure of the spirit and soul from the physical body. The Old Testament calls it "giving up the ghost."

Death is the result of sin. Romans 5:12 reads "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men,

for that all have sinned." It was impossible for Jesus to have remained dead because sin had no claim on Him. Acts 2:24 reads "Whom God hath raised up,

having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it." Jesus was born without a sin nature and hence was incapable

of sinning.

Let us look into the human drama that occurred between Jesus' death and His inevitable resurrection. Having heard Jesus predicting His resurrection, the

religious leaders approached Pilate so that they could procure security for Jesus' tomb. "Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the

chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate, Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will

rise again. Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the

people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first" (Matthew 27:62-64.) Pilate gave them the requested security detail

(verses 65-66.)

What Pilate, the religious leaders, and the security detail did not realize was that nothing on earth could have prevented Jesus' resurrection. After three

days and three nights, He rose. Because Jesus was completely human and without sin, His soul went to the paradise compartment of Hades (hell) located in

the bowels of the earth. His resurrection involved His spirit and soul reentering His dead body. The security detail did see an angel come down and roll

away the stone at the mouth of the tomb. "And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled

back the stone from the door, and sat upon it" (Matthew 28:2.) Verse 3 describes his appearance (countenance.) "His countenance was like lightning, and

his raiment white as snow." This is reminiscent of Jesus' appearance on the Mount of Transfiguration. Security was terrified. "And for fear of him the

keepers did shake, and became as dead men" (verse 4.) I can identify with this reaction. I remember once as a child I and a friend were at railroad tracks

at the time of an approaching train. My friend crossed the tracks because the train was moving very slowly. He called for me to follow but I was petrified.

I literally could not move until the train had gone by!

Jesus rose in a glorified body. "It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body" (1 Corinthians

15:44.) 1 John 3:2 reads "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we

shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." Jesus' resurrection body is incorruptible and immortal although He retains the wounds He received on

Calvary. Speaking to Thomas, He said "... Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not

faithless, but believing" (John 20:27.)

God has taken up permanent residence in this glorified, resurrection body. Matthew 28:18 reads "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is

given unto me in heaven and in earth." John actually saw Jesus' post-resurrection body as related in Revelation 4:2. "And immediately I was in the spirit:

and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne." Believers will see Jesus just as His disciples, the women at His tomb, and over five

hundred brethren saw Him after He rose from the dead (1 Corinthians 15:5-8.)

Elder Joseph Barrett
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for NFBF-Melbourne:
%(user_optionsurl)s