[NFBF-Melbourne] FW: [Chapter-Presidents] March Calendar of Meetings and Events for NFB Seniors Divisions and Groups

ctate2076 at att.net ctate2076 at att.net
Sun Mar 1 20:33:24 UTC 2020

From: Chapter-Presidents <chapter-presidents-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf
Of Robert Leslie Newman via Chapter-Presidents
Sent: Sunday, March 1, 2020 1:46 PM
To: 'NFB Chapter Presidents discussion list' <chapter-presidents at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Robert Leslie Newman <robertleslienewman at gmail.com>
Subject: [Chapter-Presidents] March Calendar of Meetings and Events for NFB
Seniors Divisions and Groups

Dear Chapter Presidents

Pasted in below and attached is the March calendar of both phone and
face-to-face meetings for NFB blind seniors. So hey. here is another
opportunity for getting your senior members more of our healthy NFB diet of
philosophy, helpful life information, and sometimes the covering of some
specific age related issues. Do pass this calendar around. Thank YOU!

**

March 2020 Calendar of Seniors Phone and Face-to-face Meetings

*Mar. 3rd (Set Day- First Tuesday of the month)

NFB of Arizona Senior Division - All are welcome. Our meeting is assessable
both to walk-ins, and/or by calling in by phone.

Time: 10:00 am and runs to noon.

Location: The SAAVI building.

Address:4222 East Thomas Road, Phoenix

If you are unable to join us in person, please call in at: 605-475-6777,
extension 06322#

Topic: The senior group meeting this month will offer some training in
alternative skills of blindness. We will rotate from one room to another and
offer the following:

iPhone training using Voiceover

beginning Braille

Cooking and dining tricks and tips

If you have any questions, please contact Connie Leblond at:

480-489-1247

*Mar. 5th (Set Day- First or second Thursday of the month)

Idaho Senior Division - We have several methods for meeting:

Seniors from the Treasure Valley Chapter, in Boise, meet the first and
sometimes the second Thursday at noon for lunch. Other seniors around the
state join in on the Idaho Gems Phone (At-Large) Chapter that meets on the
first Monday of the month.

Senior Division President: Vel Slotten.

Phone- (208) 345-1018

Idaho Senior Division will also meet at the Idaho Affiliate State
Convention! April 16, 17, 18. Contact Vel Slotten for specifics.

*Mar. 5th (Set Day- First Thursday of the month)

Florida Senior Group - All are welcome.

As always, we value your questions, your energy, and your open mind.
Time: 8:00 pm ET

Phone: 712-775-7031
Access code: 488500#

*Mar. 6th - 8th The NFB of Alabama State Convention is TAKING PLACE IN
Mobile, at the Downtown Holiday Inn.

Topic: Our gathering at convention is our annual Seniors Division business
meeting. It will be held from 4-6 Pm on March 6. In addition to election of
officers and launching of our 2020 fundraiser, we are honored to hear from
Mr. Glenn Crosby about NFB Seniors Division happenings nationwide.

Alabama's scheduled monthly phone meeting is listed further below; Mar. 12th

*Mar. 9th (Set Day- Second Monday of the month)

NFB of Nebraska Senior Division - Visitors Are Welcome.

Time:7:00 to 8:30 p.m. CT

 Phone: (712) 451-0011

Access code: 345154#

Topic: Special guest, Stacy Cervenka, Director of Public Policy for the
American Foundation for the Blind. She will cover two subjects: First, the
various services AFB has for blind seniors. Second, fill us in on a website
that she has created, and gotten the 2019 Holman Prize, cash award, for its
unique service to the blind; read the below summary.

On June 3, 2019, Holman Prizewinner Stacy Cervenka launched the Blind
Travelers' Network, an online platform to connect blind and visually
impaired people with information and resources for nonvisual accessibility
in countries around the world. The platform hosts blog posts, reviews,

discussion boards, and event listings to help users expand their horizons,
leave their comfort zone behind, and explore new places.

*Mar. 12th (Set Day- Second Thursday of the month; excluding Jul.)

NFB of Alabama - We invite you to our upcoming meeting. We welcome all ages;
members and non-members.

Time: 7:00 pm CT

Phone: 863-999-2432

Access code: 813429#

Hope you were able to join us on Mar. 6th, at our state convention!

Topic: Our board member Jill Rossiter (also vice-president of the NFB
Krafters' Division), will tell us about her first-time participation in the
Washington Seminar. We will also discuss some discounted resources available
to seniors.

*Mar. 15th (set Day- Third Sunday of the month)

NFB of Ohio Senior Division - We invite you to join our Sharing Solutions
monthly teleconference. You do not need to be a senior to participate.

Time: 7:00 pm ET

Phone: (712) 775-7031

Access Code: 240281423

*Mar. 16th (Set Day- Third Monday of the month; excluding Jul., Aug., Dec.)

NFB of New Jersey's Senior Division NJASB - All are Welcome

Time: 8:00 pm ET

Phone: 1 605 468 8005

Access code: 460994#

*Mar. 17th (Set Day- Third Tuesday of the month; excluding Dec.)

NFB of Georgia Seniors Division - All are welcome.

Time: 8:00 pm ET

Phone: (712) 775-7085

Access code: 951866#

*Mar. 18th (No set dates)

Second 2020 nationwide Senior conference call

Time: 4:00 pm ET; 3:00 pm CT; 2:00 pm MT; 1:00 pm PT

Phone: 1-515 603-3166

Access code: 759633 pound

Topic: Stacy Cervenka will present on two areas:

First: The Blind Travelers Network is a website that allows people who are
blind and low vision to share experiences about the places they travel.
Visitors to the website can read blogs by blind travelers with a wide
variety of experiences and perspectives, write reviews of places they've
been from a non-visual perspective, ask questions, and share advice with
other blind travelers. Website founder Stacy Cervenka will discuss her
motivation for creating the Blind Travelers' Network, describe the features
of the website, and share tips for traveling as a person who is blind.

Second: The American Foundation for the Blind has identified improving
services for older adults with vision loss as one of its top five
priorities. AFB is currently doing research on the transportation options
available to blind and low vision seniors and whether or not these
transportation options adequately facilitate people to live full and active
lives. We are also working to create legislation and regulations that expand
services for older people with vision loss and ensure that they have the
tools and support they need to remain independent in their homes and
communities. Stacy will give a summary of AFB's current areas of research
and policy development in this area and solicit feedback from NFB members on
research projects and policy suggestions to consider in the future.

Here is my bio from the AFB website:

Stacy Cervenka joined AFB in 2019 as Director, Public Policy. She has worked
in the public policy field since 2006, having served as a legislative
assistant to former U.S. Senator Sam Brownback, a government program analyst
at the California Department of Rehabilitation, and as the executive officer
for the California State Rehabilitation Council.

Stacy has worked primarily on issues surrounding disability employment
policy, disability rights, adoption and foster care, juvenile justice, child
protection, labor, and transportation. In October 2018, she received the
Holman Prize for Blind Ambition from the San Francisco Lighthouse for the
Blind to develop an online travel forum (Blind Travelers Network) for people
who are blind and low vision.

Stacy formerly served as the Chair of the National Federation of the Blind's
Blind Parents Group and sits on her local public transportation agency's
advisory board.

Stacy holds a master's degree in Rehabilitation Counseling from Texas Tech
University and a bachelor's degree in French and Italian from the University
of Minnesota.

*Mar. 23rd (Set Day- Fourth Monday of the month; excluding Nov., Dec.)

NFB of Kansas Seniors Division - All Are Welcome.

Time: 7:00 pm CT

Phone: (916) 235-1420

Access code: 879925#

*Mar. 25th (Set Day- Fourth Wednesday of the month)

NFB of Virginia Seniors Division - All Are Welcome.

Time: 7:00 pm ET

Phone: (605) 472-5481

Access code: 304571#