[NFBF-Melbourne] FW: [NFBF-L] National convention agenda 7/8/21

Camille Tate ctate2076 at att.net
Thu Jul 8 02:15:25 UTC 2021

From: NFBF-L <nfbf-l-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of DENISE VALKEMA via NFBF-L
Sent: Wednesday, July 7, 2021 7:55 PM
To: NFBF <nfbf-l at nfbnet.org>; NFBF <nfbf-leaders at nfbnet.org>
Cc: DENISE VALKEMA <valkemadenise at aol.com>
Subject: [NFBF-L] National convention agenda 7/8/21

Help line: 1-410-6599314 extension 2608

Dial: +1 6468769923& enter meeting ID

Thursday

10:00 - 11:00 AM—APH: OUR HIGH-TECH BRAILLE JOURNEY CONTINUES

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/95465515159> 954 6551 5159
APH made several significant announcements about its Braille product portfolio in early 2020. What followed was an unforgettable year of Braille innovation in a year best forgotten. Join us and learn about our innovative journey, the year that was, and the year that is to come.
Greg Stilson, Director, Global Innovation, American Printing House

10:00 - 11:00 AM—THE ART OF NSITE

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/93373627283> 933 7362 7283
This session will provide insight into how discovery, creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship become the catalysts to strengthening workforce opportunities for people who are blind or visually impaired; and how mutualistic growth and replication can reduce unemployment.
Jonathan Lucus, NSITE

10:00 AM - 12:00 PM—NFB-NEWSLINE® SUPERHIGHWAY TO INFORMATION

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/98783313084> 987 8331 3084
Learn about a tool for information success, NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile 3.0. We will review new features, such as new article presentation, my queue, article sharing on social media, and KNFB Reader Basic. Share your ideas for new features and content with NFB-NEWSLINE staff.

10:00 AM - 12:00 PM—COMMITTEE FOR ADVANCEMENT AND PROMOTION OF BRAILLE

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/97043401206> 970 4340 1206
The committee will discuss developments in the teaching and delivery of Braille, research priorities, Braille-related policy, strategies for bringing improvements where needed, and resources and activities across our organization. All are welcome!
Jennifer Dunnam, Chair

10:30 AM - 12:00 PM—EMPLOYMENT COMMITTEE MEETING

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/95579532854> 955 7953 2854
The annual meeting of the NFB Employment Committee will address current initiatives, NFB member and job seeker needs, and future plans. Everyone is welcome!
Dick Davis, Chair

11:00 AM - 12:00 PM—APH’S QUEST FOR THE HOLY BRAILLE

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/91723728256> 917 2372 8256
Join APH on the Quest for the Dynamic Tactile Device. This session will investigate the history behind the initiative, our goals, and how you can get involved. We will also explore the global efforts to update electronic book standards to support this revolutionary tool.
Greg Stilson, Director, Global Innovation, American Printing House

11:00 AM - 12:00 PM—DIGITAL ACCESSIBILITY INSIGHTS FROM THE OFFICE OF CIVIL RIGHTS (OCR)

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/99981477825> 999 8147 7825
Hear directly from top enforcement officials, including the acting assistant secretary for the Office of Civil Rights, on OCR’s digital accessibility work. Learn how OCR resolves hundreds of these investigations annually and how entities can comply with Section 504 and ADA Title II.
Suzanne Goldberg, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights; Mary Lou Mobley and Judith Risch, OCR National Digital Access Team

11:30 AM - 12:30 PM—ACCESSIBLE PHARMACY & BE MY EYES: MED MANAGEMENT

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/93033920184> 930 3392 0184
Accessible Pharmacy Services for the Blind and Be My Eyes will discuss how they collaborate to support blind and low-vision patients with medication and diabetes management.
Andy Burstein, CEO, Accessible Pharmacy; and Will Butler, VP of Community, Be My Eyes

11:30 AM - 12:30 PM—TEXT2VOTE

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/97532582779> 975 3258 2779
Everyone should be able to vote without any limitations, period! Our cutting-edge, patented solution will enable blind and low-vision voters to vote the same as everyone else. Please join us to hear more about the future of elections, right on your smartphone.
Lee Durham, CEO, Global Mobile

12:00 - 1:00 PM—NOPBC YOUTH TRACK SESSIONS

Registration required. Email  <mailto:president at nopbc.org> president at nopbc.org for details.

1:00 - 3:00 PM—NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND REHABILITATION
PROFESSIONALS

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/95601705562> 956 0170 5562
Topics will include mentoring, transitioning from virtual to in-person training and services, the new employment landscape, professional ethics, and planning our future goals in our division. We can decide what rehabilitation feels like together.
Amy Porterfield, President

1:00 - 3:00 PM—COMMUNITY SERVICE DIVISION: COLORS OF HOPE

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/96849346071> 968 4934 6071
We have been hopeful and expecting brighter days! Can you sense the vibrant colors of hope appearing everywhere? Life is like a rainbow; you need both rain and sun to make its colors appear. Come be inspired as we triumphantly celebrate the bright and popping colors of hope.
Jeanetta Price, President

1:00 - 3:00 PM—AMATEUR RADIO DIVISION BUSINESS MEETING

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/97475511274> 974 7551 1274
Amateur radio can be a fun and rewarding hobby. Come find out how you can get on the air and how you can use the hobby to serve.
Karen Anderson (ke0cdq), President

1:00 - 3:30 PM—WRITERS DIVISION BUSINESS MEETING

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/94313705770> 943 1370 5770
Come join the Writers Division, learn of its future, and be a part of the new leadership team for next term. Enjoy readings by our contest winners and other division members.
Shelley Alongi, President

1:00 - 4:00 PM—NFB DEAFBLIND DIVISION BUSINESS MEETING

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/95501050902> 955 0105 0902
Get updates on national issues affecting the deafblind community, technology, and the division’s business matters and elections.
Alice Eaddy, President
1:00 PM—Registration ($5)

1:00 - 4:00 PM—NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND MERCHANTS

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/95038422172> 950 3842 2172
"Get it Done in 21" Three ways to look at business: inside the box, outside the box, or the way we look at business—no box at all.
Nicky Gacos, President

1:00 - 5:00 PM—SPORTS AND RECREATION DIVISION MEETING

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/96933768719> 969 3376 8719
Join us for a high-energy meeting where we will discuss the business of the division and provide information, tools, and motivation to help you live the life you want through health and wellness.
Jessica Beecham, President

1:00 - 5:00 PM—NFB IN COMPUTER SCIENCE

Zoom meeting ID: <https://zoom.us/j/93018099496>  930 1809 9496
Enhancing nonvisual access to information technology and improving the ability of blind information and computer technology professionals to compete in today’s world.
Brian Buhrow, President

1:00 - 5:00 PM—NFB IN COMMUNITIES OF FAITH

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/97505798225> 975 0579 8225
Publishers of faith-based literature will provide an update regarding the work of their respective organizations. Other speakers will describe how their faith has helped them to overcome challenges. We will have a business meeting and hold elections for division officers.
Tom Anderson, President

1:00 - 5:00 PM—NFB KRAFTERS DIVISION BUSINESS MEETING

Zoom meeting ID: <https://zoom.us/j/98384946170>  983 8494 6170
Welcome to our thirteenth year of the Krafters Division! Little bit of business and more crafts. Register for door prizes at  <mailto:krafters.division.president at gmail.com> krafters.division.president at gmail.com. Craft vendors can be found at  <https://nfb.org/www.krafterskorner.org> www.krafterskorner.org.
Tammy Freitag, President

1:00 - 5:00 PM—NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND LAWYERS DIVISION MEETING

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/93586180919> 935 8618 0919
Examine legal issues arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic for the blind; address ongoing struggles to gain equal access to websites, employment, legal texts, and exams; share practice tips and technology tools for blind lawyers. Please go to  <https://nfb.org/www.blindlawyers.net> www.blindlawyers.net to register for the meeting.
Scott LaBarre, President

1:00 - 5:00 PM—NOPBC MEETING: JOURNEY TO EMPOWERMENT

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/4140520261> 414 052 0261
Keynote address by the 2021 Distinguished Educator of Blind Children; mix and mingle with vendors, blind mentors, and other parents; learn about cutting-edge products and programs for our youth; Parent Power and kids’ panels; business meeting; elections; and much more!
Carlton Cook Walker, President

1:00 - 5:00 PM—PERFORMING ARTS DIVISION & AUDIO DESCRIBING

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/97396132138> 973 9613 2138
Come prepared to network with other performers! Join us for our annual business meeting followed by a panel all about audio description, discussing the field as both a blind consumer and describer.
Katelyn MacIntyre, President

1:00 - 5:00 PM—PUBLIC EMPLOYEES DIVISION

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/93844944218> 938 4494 4218
This is our annual meeting of persons employed by federal, state, or municipal governments as well as employees of public utilities. We discuss issues affecting blind public servants.
Gary Van Dorn, President

1:30 - 4:00 PM—NATIONAL ORGANIZATION OF BLIND EDUCATORS

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/97770727700> 921 3283 9913
Blind teachers discuss techniques they use in their classrooms. Participants meet in groups specific to grade level and content area to create a network of colleagues and mentors. If you teach or are considering a career in teaching, please join us.
Cayte Mendez, President

2:00 - 4:00 PM—SENIORS DIVISION BUSINESS MEETING

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/97770727700> 977 7072 7700
We will elect officers and board members. Hear about our virtual retreats. We’ll discuss Accessible Pharmacy and accessible phones and a guest speaker shares his thoughts on agism. Must be dues-paying member to be eligible to win door prizes.
President, Ruth Sager

2:00 - 4:00 PM—HUMAN SERVICES DIVISION ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/99013203657> 990 1320 3657
We are a diverse group of blind professionals and students who have a passion for working with people. Please join us for our annual meeting which includes our business meeting and guest speakers. To register, email chapman.candicel at gmail.com <mailto:chapman.candicel at gmail.com> .
Candice Chapman, President

2:00 - 5:00 PM—ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY TRAINERS DIVISION

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/96386326253> 963 8632 6253
Current and aspiring tech trainers: join us for professional development, networking, and fellowship. We’ll explore what it takes to become a great trainer, how to help our students build sustainable digital literacy skills, and strategies for remote training.
Chancey Fleet, President

2:00 - 5:00 PM—NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND VETERANS MEETING

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/96735721028> 967 3572 1028
All veterans are invited. We will conduct our annual business meeting after a short networking period. We will be holding elections this year. Remember your dues must be paid in full to vote.
2:00 PM—Networking
3:00 PM—Business Meeting
Vernon Humphrey, President

2:00 - 5:00 PM—DIABETES ACTION NETWORK

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/95229006407> 952 2900 6407
Come learn about diabetes from a doctor, interact with a panel of insulin pump users, learn the ins and outs of accessibility, and hear from blind people who live daily with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Debbie Wunder, President

3:00 - 5:00 PM—NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF GUIDE DOG USERS

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/99797729606> 997 9772 9606
Come learn how the current Department of Transportation regulations have impacted air travel for guide dog users. Get current updates from our legal counsel about matters pertaining to guide dog users. Find out what NAGDU has been up to over the past year and elect our leaders!
Raul Gallegos, President

3:00 - 5:00 PM—PROFESSIONALS IN BLINDNESS EDUCATION

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/98526333208> 985 2633 3208
All professionals serving students from birth through age twenty-one are welcome and encouraged to join our informative and interactive meeting. Come network and collaborate, sharing and learning with colleagues and future educators.
Eric Guillory, President

3:00 - 5:00 PM—SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING DIVISION

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/96814511786> 968 1451 1786
Learn how the blind operate in a microbiology lab, how to operate laboratory equipment remotely, about the project to survey the blindness accessibility of higher-level education, how the blind work in an electronics laboratory, and methods of teaching STEM to the blind.
John Miller, President

5:00 - 6:00 PM—NOPBC YOUTH TRACK SESSIONS

Registration required. Email  <mailto:president at nopbc.org> president at nopbc.org for details.

5:15 - 6:15 PM—LOUISIANA CENTER FOR THE BLIND: CHANGING LIVES AND EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/93949767662> 939 4976 7662
We look forward to gathering virtually with our LCB alumni and those interested in learning about our life-changing programs. Join us as we celebrate and share. Learn how LCB training will help you live the life you want!
Pam Allen, Executive Director

OPENING GENERAL SESSION

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/97379331900> 973 7933 1900

7:00 PM CALL TO ORDER AND INVOCATION

7:05 PM    WELCOMING CEREMONIES: UNIFYING OUR MOVEMENT FROM WHERE THE FEDERATION FLAG FLIES HIGHEST TO EVERY CORNER OF OUR NATION
2021 National Convention Host Committee:

Ronza Othman, President, National Federation of the Blind of Maryland; Baltimore, Maryland
Juhi Narula, Secretary, Maryland Association of Blind Students; Baltimore, Maryland

7:35 PM    CELEBRATION OF FREEDOM: VETERANS RECOGNIZED
Vernon Humphrey, President, National Association of Blind Veterans, a Division of the National Federation of the Blind; Mauk, Georgia

7:55 PM    ROLL CALL OF STATES AND APPOINTMENT OF NOMINATING COMMITTEE

9:25 PM    LEADERSHIP AND COMMON BONDS: TRANSFORMATIVE CHANGE AND CIVIL RIGHTS GROUNDING FROM MARYLAND’S SEVENTH CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT
The Honorable Kweisi Mfume, United States House of Representatives, Seventh Congressional District; Maryland

9:45 PM     REPORTS AND RESOLUTIONS

9:50 PM     ADJOURN

10:00 - 11:00 PM—SAFETY AND SUPPORT TRAINING: ALLYSHIP AND BYSTANDER INTERVENTION

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/6645614114> 664 561 4114
Please join us to learn about the important role of an ally or actively engaged bystander, learn tools and strategies to be the most effective ally/actively engaged bystander possible, and become empowered to contribute to creating a culture of safety and inclusion for all.
Sponsored by the NFB Survivor Task Force.

10:00 - 11:00 PM—FRIENDS OF RECOVERY MEETING

Zoom meeting ID:  <https://zoom.us/j/91326780107> 913 2678 0107
All convention attendees interested in getting or remaining clean and sober are welcome to our confidential meeting. For more information, call  <tel:828-505-0338> 828-505-0338.
Gary R., Coordinator

Denise Valkema, President  National Federation of the Blind of Florida

(305)972-8529

president at nfbflorida.org <mailto:president at nfbflorida.org>

www.nfbflorida.org <http://www.nfbflorida.org>

Follow us @nfbflorida