[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter meeting minutes for March 2018

Sherrill O'Brien Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Fri Apr 20 19:52:09 UTC 2018

Hello all,

The March minutes are pasted below.

Just a note to say that lately as I write the minutes, I feel so proud of
our chapter!

We've got that hammer and nails and are sure helping to build our
Federation!

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

Beef O'Brady's

8810 N. Himes Avenue

Tampa, Florida

March 24, 2018

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:23pm.

There were twelve persons in attendance.

Miranda informed us Dan and Gloria were not in attendance, as Dan needed to
take Gloria to the E R. (Later that day we learned they had returned home
and Gloria was feeling a little better.)

Treasurer's and Secretary's Reports

Miranda gave the treasurer's report.

We have a balance of $2,661.

A motion was made by Merry, seconded by Noe, to approve the treasurer's
report. The motion passed.

A motion was made by Noe, seconded by Janet Beyer, to approve the February
minutes as corrected. The motion passed.

Merry led us in the NFB pledge.

President's Report

Miranda gave the highlights of the Chapter Board meeting

Goals/ideas presented at the meeting include:

increase communication with individual members

Expand publicity about the chapter and the NFB by placing flyers in
businesses and doctors' offices

Plan social activities and use as outreach by inviting nonmembers to join us

Involve the chapter in community outreach, such as offering to speak at a
Lighthouse Independent Living class

reward members in some way for wearing the nFB logo at chapter meetings

Miranda said we continued this discussion by  deciding to form several
committees. The following persons volunteered to serve as chairs or co
chairs:

Membership, Sherrill

Community outreach, Merry

Legislation, Merry

Fundraising, Marion

Social Activities (coordinator), Jeanette

Miranda encouraged chapter members to join one of these committees.

Miranda said that we have the opportunity to support the parents division
and the NFB BELL program's day camp which will be held in Florida this
summer. BELL stands for Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning.)
Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurants have partnered with them, and Kimberly
Banks, the president of the parents division, has asked chapters and
divisions to help by requesting to hold a Spirit Day fundraiser at a local
Chipotle Grill. Miranda will explore this idea and report back to us.

Miranda encouraged all to get involved with one or more of the NFBF
committees. She invited us to try the new Book Club led by Camille Tate.
These are all held via teleconference.

State Convention

Miranda said our Board voted that the chapter cover the cost of state
convention registration and banquet for all members attending, which totals
sixty dollars per person. She asked everyone wishing to attend to let her
know, since the first 120 people to register will get a free breakfast each
day of the convention.

We discussed what we could use as a giveaway to put in the goody bags handed
out at registration. Miranda suggested we put our logo on it. ideas included
wallets and hand sanitizers. We will order more of our popular logo pens and
place one in each bag. We have enough goody bags left over from the last
Tampa convention that we won't have to buy them.

We then brainstormed about a tree we could design to represent our
convention theme of Family. The roots could represent NFB, the trunk NFBF,
the branches chapters and divisions, and the leaves the members. This design
could be used in many ways, including made into table decorations,  and
printed on shirts and magnets.

Miranda encouraged everyone to begin collecting door prizes for state
convention . She will send out a letter and tax exempt form members can
print out and give to businesses when asking for door prizes for state
convention.

Legislative Report

Merry thanked Jeanette for her help in arranging a meeting for us with Digna
Alvarez, Senator Bill Nelson's regional representative for the Tampa area.
In the meeting with her, we will especially focus on  the ADA Education and
Reform Act, and why we are opposed to it. Proponents say many attorneys are
encouraging people to file complaints, but Merry said this is actually a
small number. The bill has already passed the House. We are hoping to
prevent the same from happening in the Senate. Merry explained this bill
puts the responsibility on the consumer to notify an establishment, via a
written letter, of their ADA violation. The establishment  would have 60
days to even acknowledge receipt of the letter, then 120 days in which to
show "substantial progress".a very vague term. She also explained that we
are working hard to finally see the ratification of the Marrakesh Treaty.
This would enable books to be shared across borders in accessible formats.
Merry encouraged members to participate in these important issues by calling
and emailing their representatives or senators.

Marion gave an update on Delta's new requirements for those traveling with
service animals. He said    that as the President of NAGDU, the National
Association of Guide Dog Users, he will participate in a meeting with Delta
representatives on April 10 at NFB's national office in Baltimore.

Merry encouraged anyone with an idea for a resolution to submit it to her or
Camille Tate, the co chairs of the Resolutions Committee. She said help is
always available for writing up the resolution. She then said she has been
asked to serve on the national scholarship   committee, which meets in
Baltimore at the end of April.

Miranda encouraged members to attend the HART  Board meeting which will be
held on April 2.

Fundraising

Marion presented several ideas for chapter fund raising, including asking
Beef o'Brady's to allow us to host an Octoberfest event.

New Business

Miranda reported on NFB's new Code of Conduct which affiliates and chapters
across the country are being asked to approve. She said there will be a
mandatory meeting for chapter and division board members with NFB's First
Vice President Pam Allen on April 22 at 7:00pm.

Marion suggested we could build nFB spirit by giving an incentive for people
to wear something with the NFB logo. For example we could give five dollars
more to the person winning the 50/50 drawing if they were wearing the logo.

Miranda won the 50/50 drawing, and received $21.50.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:50pm.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you bac