[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter Meeting Minutes for July, 2018

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Thu Aug 23 17:15:16 UTC 2018

Greetings to all,

Here are the minutes from our July meeting at O'Brien's in Brandon.

I would appreciate it very much if you would read them so we can vote on
them at Saturday's meeting.

See you at Chili's!

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

July 28, 2018

O'Brien's Pub and Grill

701 West Lumsden Road

Brandon

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:25PM. All
introduced themselves. There were 43 persons in attendance. Miranda led
everyone in saying the NFB pledge.

Secretary and Treasurer's Reports

A motion was made by Merry, seconded by Janice, to accept the March and
April minutes as emailed. The motion passed. (There was no meeting held in
May.)

Dan gave the treasurer's report, with a balance of $3450.04. A motion was
made and seconded to approved the treasurer's report as read. The motion
passed.

President's Report

Miranda said she volunteered at Florida's first NFB BELL Academy, which was
held in Orlando. (BELL stands for Braille Enrichment for Literacy and
Learning.) Merry also volunteered, and spoke about the program and her
experiences. Merry noted that after the two weeks many of the children were
much more confident. Miranda continued with her report. She mentioned the
various NFbF statewide programs and committees which are available,such as a
book club, Senior Concerns, and a Diabetes support group. She said our
August meeting, which will be held in Tampa, will include a presentation
about a long range transportation plan for Hillsborough County. She said we
will then hold our September meeting back in Brandon, and will alternate
between the two . We then explained what the NFB is all about, and several
members told how they became involved with the NFB and what it has meant to
them.

Chapter Social Activities

Jeanette described the social activities she had researched, and reviewed
the choices. She will resend an email listing them, and we  need to respond
with our top three.

Meet the Blind Month Report

Merry is chairing this committee, and announced that there will be a
teleconference on August 7 to brainstorm ideas and to begin planning for our
October events around the state. She said that NFB holds Meet the Blind
Month events  throughout the country, and explained the significance of
White Cane Safety Day.

Fundraising Committee Report

Marion and Gloria are co-chairs of this committee. Marion suggested that we
hold an Octoberfest fundraising party. He suggested looking for a venue with
a built-in clientelle, such as an apartment complex

During the meeting we voted in and welcomed ten new chapter members.

Our 50/50 drawing was won by a new member, who received $43, and generously
donated it back to the chapter.

Our next meeting will be held on August 25 at the Beef O'Brady's in Tampa

The meeting was adjourned at 2:06pM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you bac