[NFBF-Tampa] Transportation Update & Survey at our Upcoming Meeting

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Wed Jul 24 22:26:31 UTC 2019

Dear Tampa Bay Chapter Members & Supporters,

                As independent blind residents of the Tampa Bay region, the
most important issue we face is the availability of a sound, effective,
reliable public transit system. Such a transit system allows us to fully,
freely, and independently access all our region has to offer and fulfill all
the responsibilities of our lives, such as employment, medical appointments,
social service appointments, shopping, and recreation. As you know, voters
in Hillsborough County approved a $.01 sales tax of which 45% would help
improve the services of the Hillsborough Area Regional Transit (HART).
Commissioner Stacy White filed law suits challenging the constitutionality
of this referendum. The judge has made his ruling and we owe it to ourselves
and the blind community to know what that ruling is and how it will
ultimately effect our lives.

                During our meeting this Saturday, representatives from the
Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) will share more about this ruling
and what we, as a consumer organization of the blind, can do from here. We
will also have the opportunity to participate in a survey to help the
long-range planning of public transportation in the Tampa Bay area. We have
a very strong voice on this issue and need to make that voice heard, so plan
on attending this crucial meeting!

WHAT: Tampa Bay Chapter, National Federation of the Blind of Florida Monthly
Meeting

WHERE: O'Brien's Irish Pub

                701 West Lumsden Road

                Brandon, Florida

                (On the corner of Lumsden Road & Kings Avenue)

WHEN: Saturday, July 27, 2019

TIME: 12:00 Noon - 2:00 p.m.

                (Doors open at 11:00 a.m. for social time!)

We look forward to seeing you there!

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala