[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter meeting minutes for June 2019

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Fri Jul 26 14:57:38 UTC 2019

Hello to all,

The minutes from our June meeting are pasted and attached, awaiting your
approval.

As you will probably recall, we approved the April minutes by email, and
there are no May minutes because of our state convention.

Tomorrow, Mike and I are flying up to Illinois to begin a road trip with my
brother and his wife to visit family. My brother lives in Perth, Australia,
so this is a wonderful opportunity.

Warm regards

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

June 22, 2019

Beef O'Brady's

8810  North Himes Avenue

Tampa, Florida

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:25PM. All
introduced themselves. There were  twelve persons in attendance.

Sherrill led us in saying the NFB pledge.

State Convention Wrap-Up

Miranda asked all those who had attended the state convention in Boca Raton
to share their experiences, both positive and negative. An important
suggestion which came from this discussion was for newcomers to NFBF
conventions to have a mentor/buddy.

Miranda said the auction at state convention was very successful, taking in
a little over three thousand dollars. These funds will be earmarked for some
type of statewide activity for seniors.

Secretary and Treasurer'sReports

Sherrill will send out the April chapter meeting minutes by email for
approval. We did not hold a chapter meeting in May because our state
convention was being held at that time.

Dan gave the treasurer's report. April's balance was $3,795.19. The current
balance is $2,032.56.

A motion was made by Paul, seconded by Sherrill, to approve the treasurer's
report. The motion passed.

President's Report

Miranda said she has once again reached out to the Lighthouse to see when
their next independent living class will take place.

We spoke at length about the NFBF BELL (Braille Enrichment fore Literacy and
Learning) program.  We are so pleased that it is being held for the first
time in Tampa. It is running  for two weeks from June 17 through June 28, at
the Boys and Girls Club on North Boulevard. Those involved enthusiastically
shared what it is all about. There are two children attending. It is hard
work, but very rewarding.

National Convention

Rafael Fernandez is in charge of recruiting volunteers for our Florida
exhibit hall table at the national convention which is being held in Las
Vegas.

Fiftieth Anniversary State Convention

We discussed next year's NFBF special fiftieth anniversary convention, which
will be hosted here in Tampa. Yvonne suggested we might look into having a
welcoming committee at the Tampa train station.

Yvonne Rosanelli won the 50/50 drawing, receiving $22.

Our next meeting will be held on July 27 at O'Brien's Irish Pub in Brandon.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:50PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you bac