[NFBF-Tampa] All aboard!

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Tue May 21 14:51:14 UTC 2019

Hello to all fellow train travelers!

With all of us Tampa convention goers  on the train, probably most of us in one car, I’d say we can start the convention right then and there on the train!

I’m looking forward to traveling with friends old and new, and will be happy to assist in any way I can.

For many years, my Dad was a passenger train engineer, so I’ve been traveling and enjoying the rails ever since I was a little girl.

This next paragraph is especially for those who are first-timers on the train.

There is a café car on the train where you can purchase drinks, sandwiches, pizza and snacks. There is a microwave so the person working behind the counter will heat up the pizza or a hot sandwich for you.

You can either sit at a table in the same café car or take your food back to your seat…there is a pull-down tray in front of your seat like there is on a plane.

The food on the train is pretty expensive as you might imagine. You are welcome to bring your own food on board, and also nonalcoholic drinks, and have them at your seat. So if you don’t care to purchase food on the train, just pack a lunch!

One of the enjoyable things about a train is   that you’re able to get up and walk around. You do want to walk carefully and be ready to steady yourself by putting your hand on the back of a seat, as the train can get rocking and rolling when it’s up to speed. You especially want to be cautious when walking between the cars. The car attendant will most likely offer to go to the café car for you and will bring back your order to your seat. If you have limited mobility this is a good option. I enjoy walking to the café car, so I don’t take the attendant up on their offer. I simply thank them and inform them I like going there myself.

While waiting for the train…and it could be on time but is often running a bit late, you can wait inside the station and listen for the announcement that it’s time to make your way outside and to the train. You can also wait outside in a large covered area which has several benches.

If you have any questions or are just curious about something, you can send me an email at

Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

I’ll see you at the station around noon on Friday to begin our train adventure!

Warm regards

Sherrill O’Brien