[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter Meet the Blind Activity

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Sat Nov 2 12:26:47 UTC 2019

FOR IMMEDIATE USE

FROM:

DATE:

TO:

RE: Meet the Blind Month

CONTACT:  Miranda Kilbey

                     (352) 942-0417

                     TampaBay at nfbflorida.org

BLIND RAISE AWARENESS THROUGH ACTION

          Every year, the National Federation of the Blind celebrates "Meet
the Blind Month" to spread the message that blind people can live the lives
we want by conducting a variety of outreach activities. On Wednesday,
November 6, the Tampa bay chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of
Florida, with the cooperation of the Tampa Downtown Partnership, will
recognize "Meet the Blind Month" during the Tampa Mayor's Food Truck Fiesta
in Lykes Gaslight Park, located at 410 North Franklin Street from 11:00 a.m.
until 2:00 p.m.

"This activity creates opportunities for sighted people to meet blind people
in their communities and to recognize that we are vital, contributing
members of society," says Miranda Kilby, president of the Tampa Bay Chapter.

            Members of the National Federation of the Blind will write your
name in Braille, demonstrate how the long white cane works, put a guide dog
through its paces, and share other nonvisual techniques used by the blind.

"This event will also give blind people who have never had exposure to blind
mentors and the positive attitude of the National Federation of the blind
the opportunity to meet other blind individuals who demonstrate that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines our futures," says Merry
Schoch, vice president of the Chapter and a licensed clinical social worker
in private practice in Brandon.

            The National Federation of the Blind of Florida is an affiliate
of the National Federation of the Blind, located in Baltimore, Maryland. The
National Federation of the Blind is the oldest and largest organization of
the blind in the United States. The NFB knows that blindness is not the
expectations of the blind because low expectations create obstacles between
blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is
not what holds you back. The Federation provides scholarships to blind
students; support for those who are blind or losing their eyesight; advocacy
for the blind facing discrimination; and educational programs for the
general public on topics of blindness. The NFB is not an organization that
speaks on behalf of the blind; we are the blind speaking for ourselves.

            For more information about blindness or the Tampa Bay chapter of
the National Federation of the Blind, please call (352) 942-0147, send an
email to  <mailto:TampaBay at nfbflorida.org> TampaBay at nfbflorida.org, or visit
our website > <http://nfbflorida.org> http://nfbflorida.org>.

# # #

If You Come.

WHAT: Meet the Blind

WHERE: Lykes Gaslight Park

                410 North Franklin Street

                Tampa, Florida

DATE: Wednesday, November 6

TIME 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

For more information call (352) 942-0417, email