[NFBF-Tampa] Meet the Stars on a Saturday Luncheon Cruise

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Fri Dec 4 20:03:14 UTC 2020

Dear All,

                First of all, I would like to draw your attention to Vice
President Merry Schoch's fifteen more minutes of fame, along with our FLAGDU
members Janice butler, Debbie Malone, and Yvonne Rosanelli. . Merry
coordinated a visit of Freedom Guide Dog puppy-raisers and handlers to meet
at ZooTampa to desensitize the zoo collection to the presence of service
dogs.  Merry and I have been working with ZooTampa for several years to
create a model for zoos across the nation to follow so that we have greater
access to the exhibits. When Merry, Debbie, Janice, Yvonne and several
Freedom guide Dogs puppy raisers visited yesterday, they were met by camera
crews from National Geographic, PBS, and our local Fox 13. Here is the link
to view the Channel 13 story.

https://www.fox13news.com/video/877121

                The stars of the segment will be signing autographs during
the 11:30 Saturday cruise of the tampa Bay Ferry. The quartet will disembark
at the Vinoit Yacht Basin with brunch at Cassis, followed by a walk through
downtown St. Petersburg. If there is time for another stop, we will make
that as impromptu as this whole outing! Departure from the Vinoit yacht
Basin will be at 4:45 p.m., returning to the Tampa Convention center at 5:40
p.m. Merry might want to make a stop at Hat Tricks once we return to Tampa
so see "impromptu" above!

                This tongue-in-cheek message is simply a way to invite our
members to celebrate in the successes of our Movement and enjoy some safe,
relaxing, publicly-distanced social time. Though I realize the piece was not
about the National Federation of the Blind, it featured some of our leaders
with a positive message about blindness and guide dog handlers. It also
communicated a vital message when the anchor stated, "Service animals are
welcome in all areas of the zoo!"

This piece also sent a more important message we know is true: the more
agencies serving the blind - including guide dog training programs - have
consumer input, representation, and influence in their policies and the more
congruent they are with the empowering message of the Federation, the better
these agencies serve their consumers.

                We realize this invitation is very last-minute; this message
is as impromptu as the outing. If you would like to join us, we will depart
the Tampa bay convention Center at 11:30 a.m., arriving in St. Petersburg at
12:25 p.m. The ferry will return at 4:45, arriving back to the convention
center at 5:40 p.m. the round-trip fare is $20 for adults, $16 for those of
you 65 or older, and $10 for children 5 - 18. You can book your tickets by
visiting

TheCrossBayFerry.com/st-pete-tampa/

And clicking on the "buy now" button. I found it difficult to purchase using
the website, so my sister helped me. You can also call the Cross Bay ferry
and China will help you purchase tickets. Her number is 727-273-6877.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 813-626-2789. It
would be good to have a "heads-up" if you will be joining us!

Fraternally yours,

Marion

Marion Gwizdala

(813) 626-2789