[NFBF-Tampa] SSI beneficiaries

Barbara Gaw bjgaw at gawconsulting.com
Tue Mar 31 20:37:21 UTC 2020

Hello chapter members,

Hope everyone is staying safe and is enjoying time spent with others in your  household. In case anyone is a SSI beneficiary and  concerned about what the $1200 emergency money might mean to your benefits, you do not need to worry. Right now according to Rep. Castor, the IRS will use Social Security numbers to determine who will receive the stimulus money if you are not an individual who has filed a tax return for either 2018 or 2019. The bad news is that she did not give any indication how long it might be before the money is sent, Or if the money will be in the form of checks or pre-loaded debit cards. Representative Castor said that the bill was still being sorted out and not all the details have been finalized. The good news is that the bill that was signed by the president includes language that says the money will not be counted as income or as resources for a period of 12 months according to my former professor from Cornell.

If I hear anything else from either Kathy Castor‘s office or the YTI at Cornell, I’ll let y’all know.

Take care,
Barbara

Barbara Gaw, MA, CRC, CWIC
Gaw WIPA Consulting, Inc.