[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter meeting minutes for October 24, 2020

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Thu Jan 21 22:42:14 UTC 2021

Greetings to all,

I apologize for neglecting to get these old minutes out to you, but here
they are for your reading pleasure and for your approval during Saturday's
meeting.

On behalf of all of us in the chapter, special January birthday greetings
and virtual hugs go out to Paul, our dear little Bella, and Louise!

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone on our first Zoom call of 2021.

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

October 24, 2020

Because of the restrictions resulting from the Covid-19 pandemic, the
chapter members met from our homes via the Zoom meeting platform

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:08PM.
Yvonne Rosanelli led us in saying the NFB Pledge.

All introduced themselves. There were 16 persons in attendance, including a
guest, Jorge Salgado, who was invited by Yvonne.

Miranda told the newer members and our guest about the wealth of information
to be found on our NFB website. She invited all to join our Tampa Bay
chapter email list.

A motion was made by Noe Villeda, seconded by Barbara Gaw, to approve the
September chapter meeting minutes as emailed. The motion passed.

Because he was tallying up the total amount collected for our 50/50 drawing,
Dan gave the treasurer's report later in the meeting.

President's Report

Miranda noted that our Tampa Bay chapter was formed in October 33 years ago.

Virtual State Convention Wrap-Up

Miranda thanked Marion for creating the recording of the opening ceremonies,
and all who participated in the project. She then asked those who attended
the convention to comment on what they considered the positives or
negatives. The comments were overwhelmingly positive, and all thought the
Board had done a great job in putting on a virtual convention, especially
since  this was our first one.

Miranda said the NFBF history project which Dan put together will be
available on the NFBF website.

Paul said some of the scholarship winners are working to start a student
division. Merry said the success of this year's scholarship program reflects
the willingness of so many chapters to support it, both financially and
through mentoring.

Meet the Blind Month

Miranda talked about the many ways our chapter has observed this month in
the past, especially through our group crossings of busy intersections with
canes and guide dogs. We talked about the White Cane Law and that much of
the public and unfortunately most police officers are unaware of its
existence or what it involves. Joy Relton mentioned that the NFB was very
instrumental in getting the original law passed nationwide.

Miranda said that since every day can be a "meet the blind" experience for
us, we should consider holding some type of event before the end of the
year. She called for ideas.

Following much discussion, we decided to hold a virtual event to inform and
educate the public, especially those who are newly blind, about the local
NFBF chapter as a valuable community resource for mentoring and for
connecting them with services including, but not limited to, HART
Paratransit, the Division of Blind Services and the Lighthouse. We will
invite a representative from these organizations to speak for 15 or 20
minutes.

Miranda asked for volunteers to serve on a planning committee. So far, those
serving include Gloria Hicks, Yvonne Rosanelli, Joy Relton and Paulette (I
don't have her last name). Miranda said all chapter members are welcome to
join the call. She will ask Jorge Hernandez to set up a Zoom call for the
meeting as soon as possible.

Old Business

Following discussion, we decided that out of caution we will continue to
meet virtually via Zoom rather than face to face.

We then discussed the success we had through opening up our 50/50 fundraiser
to those outside the chapter. Miranda said we will definitely give people
the choice of paying via PayPal, Square or check for our next drawing. A
motion was made by Gloria, seconded by Lyn Reynolds, that we open up each
virtual 50/50 drawing for contributions at the end of the chapter meeting,
with the deadline at midnight on the Thursday prior to the next meeting. The
motion passed.

Treasurer's Report

Dan gave the treasurer's report. After we debit this month's 50/50 winnings,
we will have a balance of $1,799.33.

New Business

Following extensive discussion, we decided to hold a regular monthly meeting
on November 28, a virtual Meet the Blind event TBD by the planning
committee, and a virtual holiday party on December 19. All agreed with
Yvonne that the party should include a recipe swap. In addition, we decided
to hold our next 50/50 drawing during the party. It will again be open to
all NFBF members and supporters.

We then held our 50/50 drawing, and Andy Rood of the Jacksonville chapter
received $98.50.

Disability Rights Project

Merry said that Marion is working on a project with the nonprofit
organization Disability Rights Florida and would appreciate the
participation of the chapter members who ride the HART fixed route buses.
Although the automated bus announcements have helped blind patrons, Merry
said the inconsistency of announcements by the drivers has not improved
enough. Disability Rights is gathering data on the failure of HART to make
announcements both inside and outside the buses. So Marion is asking those
who encounter problems with announcements to contact him, and he will put
them in touch with Disability Rights Florida.

New Members

A motion was made by Dan, seconded by Sherrill, to accept Marty Ison and
Jorge Salgado as new members of the Tampa Bay Chapter.

The motion passed.

Our next meeting will be held on November 28 via the Zoom platform.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:17PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you bac