[NFBF-Tampa] Senior Concerns Meeting for February - TV Adaptations for Blind and Visually Impaired

Paul Lewis lewpil1952 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 15:51:10 UTC 2021

Dear Gloria,
       This sounds like a great and relevant topic and hopefully there will be a great turn out on the call. I am thinking the focus of the car will be on audio description and the accessibility of the equipment that is provided to us by the service providers. I would also like to suggest another area to investigate as well. This could be for a future program and would certainly go beyond the scope of the Seinors Concerns Committee. That would be how the blind are portrayed as characters in television and to extend it also in movies. I realize that when characters in show who may be blind or visually impaired depicted, they are performances I reviewed on an individual basis(or lease that’s how it seems as the information is disseminated to the state and local organizations).
   In the group that I volunteer with, LifeLink of Florida, which promotes organ donations and encourages people to sign up as Organ donors and who I also arranged to speak at our last state convention, has a program that I think we could adapt to our state and national organizations. basically it is known as organ donation in Hollywood and reviews and comments the depiction of the characters and stories that organ donation as part of the plot. Is essentially a watchdog group that seeks to correct any missed information that is put out on either the large or small screen. I feel that we could certainly far along the same lines with either  plot lines or characters relating to the blind and visually impaired. At the very least it could make for a very interesting an informative discussion. If there is currently a watchdog group like this in the NFB, I am not aware of it.
Thanks, Paul

Sent from my iPhone