[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter Meeting Minutes June 2021

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Fri Jul 23 21:21:35 UTC 2021

Hello to all,

Here are June's meeting minutes.so great to be able to write the location as
Beef 'O'Brady's instead of ""Zoom"!

I'm going to send out a separate email with Beef 'o'Brady's lunch menu. I
know some of you are extremely familiar with it, but it's so extensive I'm
sure there are items on it you had no idea were there. I just put the links
so you'll have lots to look through. I can assure you after reading it
you'll want to run to Beefs as fast as you can!

I hope to see many of you tomorrow.

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

June 19, 2021

Beef O'Brady's

8810 N. Himes Avenue

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:00PM.
Everyone introduced themselves. There were 17 in attendance, including three
guests: Christine Copley and two guests whom Lynn invited, Mary Hayes and
Siham Atshan. We then recited the NFB pledge altogether.

Secretary and Treasurer's Reports

A motion was made by Dan, seconded by Paul, to approve the May meeting
minutes as emailed. The motion passed.

We then paused the meeting for lunch.

The meeting resumed at 1:10. Dan gave the treasurer's report. Our current
balance is $2,331.87. A motion was made by Sherrill, seconded by Lynn, to
accept the treasurer's report as read. The motion passed.

President's Report

Miranda thanked everyone for coming, saying it was wonderful to once again
be meeting in person at Beef O'Brady's.

She encouraged everyone to participate in our NFB national convention and to
read through the agenda which has just come out. The convention will be held
virtually from July 6 through 10.

Miranda said that the funding for the new cross county transportation
service TD Tampa Bay is not being renewed, so it will be discontinued at the
end of the month. We discussed what steps we should take to bring back this
valuable service. Guest Christine Copley said she has a contact in the
governor's office to whom we can write to express our concerns. She will get
that information for us.

Miranda said she hopes this will be a community project, and encouraged all
to write a letter sharing what this service means to us on a personal level.
Debby Malone volunteered to assist with composing the letters. She said it
is important to get the media involved.

Lynn suggested that we look into holding some of our meetings at the
O'Brien's Pub in Brandon in order to make it easier for those living in the
Sun City area to attend. She said it's even more important now that we no
longer have transportation through TD Tampa Bay.

State Convention Planning

Miranda encouraged everyone to provide suggestions and feedback by
participating in the State convention planning meetings. There are two
types: open meetings and those held for the participation of the two hosting
chapters, Tampa and Miami, plus the affiliate Board. We discussed
possibilities for a convention theme. We need volunteers to collect
important local phone numbers/addresses, such as for nearby restaurants.
Yvonne will get contact information for pharmacies and veterinary clinics.
Yvonne and Debbie Malone will collaborate on getting and writing up a
description of the layout of our hotel, the USF Embassy Suites. Miranda
encouraged all to help in procuring door prizes. She also asked us to
consider whether we once again wish to contribute financially to the state
scholarship program. Jorge Hernandez is this year's scholarship chair.
Mentors are also needed for the scholarship winners. We of course need Ideas
for Workshops and general session topics.

Debbie Malone volunteered to write up a description of the layout of the
hotel.

Brittany Fraer will organize a memorial to those we have lost during the
past year.

Dan invited everyone to call into support him when he participates as a
presenter in the first LOL comedy night performance as part of our national
convention entertainment.

Noe Villeda won the 50/50 drawing, which we had once again opened to the
NFBF community. He received $82.50.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:06PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Home 813-935-0474, Cell 813-767-1890

Email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.