[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter Meeting Minutes May 2021

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Sat Jun 19 00:00:42 UTC 2021

Hello to all,

Here are the minutes from our wonderful May meeting at the home of Yvonne
and George Rosanelli!

I'm looking forward to seeing lots of you tomorrow at Beefs!

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

May 21, 2021

The meeting was held at the home of Yvonne and George Rosanelli on Davis
Islands.

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:07PM.

All introduced themselves. There were 17 persons in attendance. We were all
very happy to finally get to meet 16 month old Isabella, daughter of Paul
and Miranda.

We recited the NFB pledge altogether.

Secretary and Treasurer'sReports

A motion was made by Paul, seconded by  Lynn, to approve the April meeting
minutes as emailed. The motion passed.

Dan gave the treasurer's report. Our current balance is $2289.86.

A motion was made by Merry, seconded by  Lynn, to accept the treasurer's
report as read. The motion passed.

A motion was made by Sherrill, seconded by Merry, to accept Britany Frauer
and Scott Wilson as members of our chapter. The motion passed.

President's Report

Miranda said that the NFBF state convention will definitely be held in Tampa
at the Embassy Suites at USF. It will possibly be a hybrid convention to
accommodate those not yet comfortable attending in person. The Tampa and
Miami chapters will serve as cohosts. The next closed planning meeting will
take place on  May 26.

Miranda mentioned that this convention will be special because we were not
actually able to celebrate last year's NFBF's 50th anniversary together.
Because of this, she suggested including more social activities at this one.
She wants us to think about a theme. Her suggestion is "family reunion."

She said we need to start thinking of ways to fundraise, especially to help
the chapter pay for convention related expenses. Lynn said we should update
our official fundraising letter to show to businesses when we ask for
donations for door prizes. She will also speak to an acquaintance who is a
vendor to ask for names of vendors who might make donations for the
convention hospitality suite.

Brittany Frauer volunteered to bring her popcorn machine for the suite.

We agreed that our next meeting should be held at the Beef O'Brady's on
Himes where we used to meet. Miranda will also call O'Brien's in Brandon
where we also met occasionally.

Miranda said that we might take advantage of the convention hotel to have a
room where local vendors could display items and give information.

New Business

Merry shared the good news about a guide dog incident which involved
Southeastern Guide Dogs repossessing the guide dog of Reverend Susan Blake
without prior notice. No proper due process was undertaken. Marion
immediately got involved with this case. He has founded a nonprofit called
Advocates for Service Animal Partners. He received a call from a deputy
sheriff in Columbia County stating that the department had received a court
order allowing them to take the dog from its puppy raisers where
Southeastern had placed her. Marion and Merry, with the help of marion's
sister, were able to travel to get the dog and take her back to Rev. Blake.
Marion is optimistic that this case will have a positive ending, and feels
this will send the message that guide dog handlers intend to stand up for
their rights in these  unreasonable seizures.

HART News

Merry said that there will be a HART ADA meeting on August 19. Merry will be
speaking for three minutes at this meeting because she has applied to be a
member of HART's ADA committee.

Sherrill thanked the Rosanellis for their generosity in opening their home
and providing delicious appetizers.

Our next meeting will be held on June 19.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:30PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you bac